+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for a good phono stage

I'm Aris.

Yep...MM+MC version.

A.jpg
    Nottingham Analogue Dais, Ace Space 12", Decca Super Gold, Croft Micro 25R, Croft Series 7R, Harbeth SHL5+, Oppo BDP-105D, Hama DIT2010

"Utopia is on the horizon. I move two steps closer; it move two steps further away. I walk another ten steps and the horizon runs ten steps further away. As much as I may walk, I'll never reach it. So what's the point of Utopia? The point is this: to keep walking." E.Galeano

I'm Peter.

If you want the best Phono stage available you can’t go wrong with this!!!!! (It will better anything at ten times the cost. MM & MC with load matching on the fly).

Ray Samuels - Nighthawk F117

Take a look

Peter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Andy.

If you can find one, give some thought to an Audiovalve Sunilda, 2 I/P's and either are selectable to MM/MC and load and capacitive adjustable.
    Has an external PSU too.
    I too have a Dais with 2 arms, great TT.
    Last edited by Sand Dancin Donkey Walker; 30-12-2017 at 12:47. Reason: Additiona l Info
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    If you want the best Phono stage available you can’t go wrong with this!!!!! (It will better anything at ten times the cost. MM & MC with load matching on the fly).

Take a look

Peter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I completely disagree with this.

Compressed sound under the weight of negative feedback in the circuit. Yes, silent background but other than that it just didn't do anything for me. Quite emotionless and grey when I heard one.

The EAR has negative feedback in the circuit and the suggestions of it sounding dark would allude to the feedback. I've never heard one but they are very popular.

The Tron Convergence suffers from sounding dark although with a few tweaks it becomes a very very good phonostage. The most holographic phonostage I've heard. I almost bought a modded one.

Personally, I'd try and find a Jolida JD9II. it's an exceptional phonostage or ask Firebottle for a listen to a Vivant both in your budget.

The Jolida gives nothing away to anything I've put it in against. It's a tube buffer after an opamp based SS board so is very tight and detailed but has good grip on the bass. It has all the possible capacitance and impedance settings you can shake a stick at and can be used with really LOMC carts.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bigman80; 30-12-2017 at 13:32.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I completely disagree with this.

Compressed sound under the weight of negative feedback in the circuit. Yes, silent background due to battery but other than that it just didn't do anything for me.

The EAR has negative feedback in the circuit and the suggestions of it sounding dark would allude to the feedback.

The Tron Convergence suffers from sounding dark although with a few tweaks it becomes a very very good phonostage

Personally, I'd try and find a Jolida JD9II. it's an exceptional phonostage or ask Firebottle for a listen to a Vivant

The Jolida gives nothing away to anything I've put it in against.

There are other candidates too on other forums.

Oliver, I'm afraid it didn't sound compressed to me. I tried this via the Mcintosh and it was superb. I think it's a case of we all like what we like, as we are individuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Oliver, I'm afraid it didn't sound compressed to me. I tried this via the Mcintosh and it was superb. I think it's a case of we all like what we like, as we are individuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No doubt, Peter. As in all things, personal experience will differ but It certainly didn't give a good impression when I tried it. In fact I found it difficult to tell the difference between the Tron and the Nighthawk when we tested them. I disliked both. Again, all personal experience and opinion but I can say with confidence, it wouldn't beat a LDA JFET which is well within the 10x the price limit at £1800.

montesquieu Guest

Do you like the phono stage on the Croft?

If you do then why not have a custom SUT made with two inputs and a bypass for use with moving magnet. Graeme 'Valvebloke' (trades as Ampregen) did a couple of these for me, one using S&B TX103 transformers, the other using Hashimoto HM7s. But really you could take any sensible pair of step up transformers and do this.

This gives you the option too of swapping in an improved stand-alone MM phono stage at a later date.

There are in my experience very few two input phono stages out there that sound equally good on both MM and MC, the exceptions are generally expensive ones with good bypassable SUTs ahead of a MM stage.

Here's a pic of my former setup, the Aurorasound Vida I had was a very good phono stage but while the MC section was indeed very capable, it was significantly bettered with a good SUT like the Hashomotos, so I ran both arms via the SUT into the MM stage. Nowadays I run an EAR 912 which has SUTs built in.

I'm Alan.

If you want the best Phono stage available ...
    It's good but it's certainly not the best. There are a number of phono stages that will show it the door.

Of course the rest of the system has to be top notch to appreciate the difference.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    No doubt, Peter. As in all things, personal experience will differ but It certainly didn't give a good impression when I tried it. In fact I found it difficult to tell the difference between the Tron and the Nighthawk when we tested them. I disliked both. Again, all personal experience and opinion but I can say with confidence, it wouldn't beat a LDA JFET which is well within the 10x the price limit at £1800.
    Haven't heard the Nighthawk but wasn't overly enthused by the Tron when I heard it.

I'm not the biggest fan of the EAR 834P myself, at least when stock, but I have heard modded versions of it sounding superb.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Haven't heard the Nighthawk but wasn't overly enthused by the Tron when I heard it.
    They sound similar. The Tron had a bit more life but neither really delivered IMO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast