+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review of "The Big" cable or Olivers new prototype cable

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I agree that on certain material the HF can be a bit, well, strident, as you say BUT it is never out of control or breaking up. In fact, I can't think of a time it's been unpleasant to listen to. The revealing nature of the cable doesn't mask anything. If it's on the recording, it comes through and that hasn't always been the case with the cables I've previously owned.

I didn't suggest that anything "broke up", on the contrary this never happened. Strident is just another term meaning shrill or a bit high pitched on your lug holes. Just to further add that I did pick an album with some exceptionally high notes. The cable did tame the recording a little but not sufficient to prevent all shrillness. This was not something that I expected from the cable, but as Oliver says it certainly did purvey what was on the vinyl. So that much is accurate. I did notice that the cable was also quite good with sibilance, again not perfect but it did make some recordings more bearable. No criticism towards the cable, I think it's great and should be tried.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Silver plated copper? That’s supposed to give the character Andrew describes. Personally I’m not so convinced; although I think it can be true I don’t think it’s a given in the way some seem to think (I’m not suggesting Andrew thinks this).
    Mark, I think I can usually pick out silver plated or silver cables with "think" being the operative word!!!! All my systems are usually silver cable based. This cable sounded very nordost but without the crappy light weight bass that the speaker cables seem to suffer from. I'm a cable sceptic and I also like a scientific explanation but the more I pursue this hobby the more I realise that science dosen't always mirror supposed outcome and I've learned to trust my ears rather than driving myself nuts trying to understand the science.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

RG316 is indeed used by more than one manufacturer as cable for audio interconnects. I have some leads using it terminated with CAMAC connectors for use with Mark Levinson gear. I don't like them as I find the FEP outer jacket, along with the single steel wire centre conductor, makes the cable too 'springy' and difficult to dress. I much prefer to use RG174, which uses a stranded copper-plated steel centre conductor and a PVC outer jacket, making the cable much more flexible, and thin enough to fit CAMAC connectors.

But I digress - this thread is all about Oliver's cables.
    Barry

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I didn't suggest that anything "broke up", on the contrary this never happened. Strident is just another term meaning shrill or a bit high pitched on your lug holes. Just to further add that I did pick an album with some exceptionally high notes. The cable did tame the recording a little but not sufficient to prevent all shrillness. This was not something that I expected from the cable, but as Oliver says it certainly did purvey what was on the vinyl. So that much is accurate. I did notice that the cable was also quite good with sibilance, again not perfect but it did make some recordings more bearable. No criticism towards the cable, I think it's great and should be tried.

Mark, I think I can usually pick out silver plated or silver cables with "think" being the operative word!!!! All my systems are usually silver cable based. This cable sounded very nordost but without the crappy light weight bass that the speaker cables seem to suffer from. I'm a cable sceptic and I also like a scientific explanation but the more I pursue this hobby the more I realise that science dosen't always mirror supposed outcome and I've learned to trust my ears rather than driving myself nuts trying to understand the science.
    Hi Andrew,

I know you didn't state there was any break up but I just wanted to clarify it and add a bit of personal opinion. Your review has prompted a couple of enquiries so it's obviously come across as well as I read it.

Strident is a great word BUT It can mean grating or unpleasant. Hence me trying to clarify

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bigman80; 28-12-2017 at 18:29.

I'm Andrew.

Oliver,

I think I may not have quite explained myself properly. I have a track which has always been very strident and is indeed very grating, it's a guitar solo on a Marillion album which has a quite a high note which could quite easily pierce your eardrum from 100m down the road , so this has proven quite a useful tool to assess a cables ability to transcribe / or calm what's on the vinyl. If the cable produces a shrill, strident note then it's a faithful reproduction of the vinyl and the recording process in the studio. Conversely the cable must be colouring or adding something if I detect changes in the nature of the note. All very subjective I agree but I have had this album 20+ years and I think I'm confident in detecting small changes. I don't think you should use this cable if your after something that's going to flatter your system, it won't. The cable could be worth a trial if your after something to honestly transcribe what's on your vinyl, wart's 'n all!

I hope this has verified things.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Bigman80 Guest

Oliver,

I think I may not have quite explained myself properly. I have a track which has always been very strident and is indeed very grating, it's a guitar solo on a Marillion album which has a quite a high note which could quite easily pierce your eardrum from 100m down the road , so this has proven quite a useful tool to assess a cables ability to transcribe / or calm what's on the vinyl. If the cable produces a shrill, strident note then it's a faithful reproduction of the vinyl and the recording process in the studio. Conversely the cable must be colouring or adding something if I detect changes in the nature of the note. All very subjective I agree but I have had this album 20+ years and I think I'm confident in detecting small changes. I don't think you should use this cable if your after something that's going to flatter your system, it won't. The cable could be worth a trial if your after something to honestly transcribe what's on your vinyl, wart's 'n all!

Ah! Now I get it. Thanks Andrew. You get warts and all, which is what I wanted.

I'm happy with that

I'm Lawrence.

Oliver,

I've often thought about this, and it borders on the philosophical, but on what system did you hear it to determine what the correct sound of the guitar in the recording was like, and with what cables?

My simplistic thinking was that if you analyse the waveform on the original recording and compare to a professionally mic'd recording of the system you might be able to measure "closeness" of the reproduced sound to the original, but what about the influence of the mic(s) and the cables used for those?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Andy.

Is it too early for us to have a pic of these cables?

Bigman80 Guest

This is a pic of the prototype cables. The strain relief is a bit more substantial now and they are a bit neater. Better solder too. Leaded type.

I'm Andy.

Cheers, Oliver. They look the biz!

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

. Heavier music seemed to have more of an impending doom feeling, bass was fuller, faster and just over all better defined than the Mark Grant offering.
    So Oliver, does this mean you can colour them all black and market them for a specific Goth/Emo audiophile type?

Nice review

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast