+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review of "The Big" cable or Olivers new prototype cable

I'm Deleted.

The benefit is reduced weight and cost - neither matters if you are conducting super high frequencies (microwave level) that exist solely in the outer levels of the cable - where the silver plating is. The copper is there to facilitate the silver plating and does appear to be some kind of extruded jacket (but only a few microns thick).
    Account Deleted

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Silver plated on to copper plated steel? Why on earth would anyone do that? Why not just go and plate directly to copper?
    I don't know, but is this a type of cable that relies on 'skin effect'? If so, then I could understand the use of steel being employed for the sake of economy.

I'm Geoff.

Ah. I see Mark has more or less answered my question.

I'm Edward.

Sounds interesting.

Are these cables now for sale and if so what is the ordering process? I assume they are rca interconnects.

Where best to use these cables initially ? Between a DAC and Pre or between a Pre and Power?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

Bigman80 Guest

Rothwell uses RG316 doesn't he? Maybe he has a point of view on it. There must be a reason he and others recommend it?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Deleted.

Please don’t let my posts derail your thread - that is genuinely not my intent. However, in response to your last post, yes Rothwell use RG316 which is precisely the cable I was talking about - stranded steel cable, clad in copper, silver plated - intended for propagation of microwave level frequencies.
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Please don’t let my posts derail your thread - that is genuinely not my intent. However, in response to your last post, yes Rothwell use RG316 which is precisely the cable I was talking about - stranded steel cable, clad in copper, silver plated - intended for propagation of microwave level frequencies.
    Ah! Yes I thought so. Googling the RG316 brought up a pic which looked like the Rothwell stuff.

I believe another manufacturer uses it too

I'm Deleted.

Yes, indeed, but let’s not waste time discussing ‘also rans’ .
    Account Deleted

I'm Gary.

It could be that there are times when tensile strength is a requirement due to environmental conditions.

Copper is not as strong as steel, it also stress fractures easily.

No idea if these are the reasons, just possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Silver plated on to copper plated steel? Why on earth would anyone do that? Why not just go and plate directly to copper?

I'm Martin.

Copper much more expensive than steel.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast