Thread: Review of "The Big" cable or Olivers new prototype cable

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Cheers, Oliver. They look the biz!
    Thanks Andy

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    So Oliver, does this mean you can colour them all black and market them for a specific Goth/Emo audiophile type?

Nice review
    I can make them bright green if you like

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I can make them bright green if you like

Now that would make them coloured!
    Barry

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Now that would make them coloured!
    🤣

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I've often thought about this, and it borders on the philosophical, but on what system did you hear it to determine what the correct sound of the guitar in the recording was like, and with what cables?

My simplistic thinking was that if you analyse the waveform on the original recording and compare to a professionally mic'd recording of the system you might be able to measure "closeness" of the reproduced sound to the original, but what about the influence of the mic(s) and the cables used for those?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk
    I did say it was subjective. I have three main systems. The system I used consisted of

Lenco Reference 75 Deck + Nigels Speed Controller
    Alphason HR100s tonearm rewired with IKEDA silver
    Modified Shure M55 cartridge with JICO neoSAS/S stylus & Snakewood body
    EAR 834P Clone
    ATC SCA-2 Preamp
    ATC 50 ASM active speakers
    Yannis Tome balanced IC's for the speakers
    Nordost TYR tonearm cable
    Mark Grant HD1000 IC's (THESE ARE THE ONESI REPLACED IN THE REVIEW).

All powered through a PS Audio P10.

It's all stuff I've had for years so I have a good appreciation of the sound. The ATC's are known to be very analytical. It's quite easy to hear changes so I don't have to worry about using software to analyse anything. I trust my ears and prefer to use them and buy my kit that way. I did say it was very subjective. We'll never really know how close we are to an original recording, but we can have fun guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    So Oliver, does this mean you can colour them all black and market them for a specific Goth/Emo audiophile type?

Nice review
    That's quite funny. I think I was listening to the opening track on the first Sabbath LP. Now if that's about as doom based a riff as I could find. Electric Wizard are quite good as well.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Silver plated on to copper plated steel? Why on earth would anyone do that? Why not just go and plate directly to copper?

A lot of the cables are made for military purposes and have to put up with a squaddie putting plugs together with partially frozen fingers, so the have to be tough but still need the conductive properties of the silver which would flake off if plated to steel. The copper plating add the right amount of ductility to keep the silver attached ...

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blueflash View Post
    A lot of the cables are made for military purposes and have to put up with a squaddie putting plugs together with partially frozen fingers, so the have to be tough but still need the conductive properties of the silver which would flake off if plated to steel. The copper plating add the right amount of ductility to keep the silver attached ...
    That makes sense.

I'm Deleted.

Mark Grant HD1000 IC's (THESE ARE THE ONESI REPLACED IN THE REVIEW).
    Mark Grant is a great guy and very easy to deal with. However, his interconnects didn’t do a lot for me if I’m honest (they were all the rage on AoS at the time).
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Mark Grant is a great guy and very easy to deal with. However, his interconnects didn’t do a lot for me if I’m honest (they were all the rage on AoS at the time).
    I've had a set of his HD-1000. They were a lot better once the spring loaded RCA plugs were off.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234