+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review of "The Big" cable or Olivers new prototype cable

I'm Andrew.

Default Review of "The Big" cable or Olivers new prototype cable

I got these just before Xmas and have had a good listen to them. The cable is very fast, detailed and open. I compared these protoypes to the Mark Grant HD1000 cable and found that they had considerable more detail than the Mark Grant cable. I noted that cymbals had greater shimmer and I could see into the music more with Oliver's cables. Heavier music seemed to have more of an impending doom feeling, bass was fuller, faster and just over all better defined than the Mark Grant offering. They are an instant improvement over the Mark Grant. The construction of the cable is very good, quite sturdy, especially for it's prototype status. They do have a certain "sound" and can sound a little strident with high treble but this is only a minor gripe and one which will not spoil your experience whilst using them. I did manage to guess some of the cables components due to their sonic nature, my lips are sealed! Overall, I think the cable should do well at the proposed price point. I certainly enjoyed my time with them.

Many thanks Oliver.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Bigman80 Guest

Thanks for taking the time to cast your ear over the cables, Andrew.

I think if there is a "Bandwidth" available in cables, these certainly deliver more than any I've tried. I agree that on certain material the HF can be a bit, well, strident, as you say BUT it is never out of control or breaking up. In fact, I can't think of a time it's been unpleasant to listen to. The revealing nature of the cable doesn't mask anything. If it's on the recording, it comes through and that hasn't always been the case with the cables I've previously owned.

The price point..... at an estimate they would cost about £75 for 1m pair to buy and the construction is a bit better refined now. All things learned from the guys and girls who have had them on loan and fedback their thoughts.

I use these cables daily and I love them. But I would, wouldn't I

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Deleted.

Silver plated copper? That’s supposed to give the character Andrew describes. Personally I’m not so convinced; although I think it can be true I don’t think it’s a given in the way some seem to think (I’m not suggesting Andrew thinks this).
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

It is silver plated.

I'm Deleted.

But not copper...... ? Not the silver plated steel stuff used for microwave transmission?
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    But not copper...... ? Not the silver plated steel stuff used for microwave transmission?
    I didn't know they made silver plated steel ?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post

Yes - RG316, RG714 amongst others, use a central conductor that is silver-plated copper-coated steel.
    Barry

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes - RG316, RG714 amongst others, use a central conductor that is silver-plated copper-coated steel.
    Silver plated on to copper plated steel? Why on earth would anyone do that? Why not just go and plate directly to copper?

Yes - RG316 and RG174, amongst other coaxial cables, use copper-plated steel for the centre conductor.
    Barry

Silver plated on to copper plated steel? Why on earth would anyone do that? Why not just go and plate directly to copper?

It's an option, some versions simply use copper-coated steel. I'm not sure if the copper coating is plated or if it is a done by a rolling cold-weld technique.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast