+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Turntable advice needed

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Hi

Its a difficult one this and one I hope we will tackle in another thread. Denon are a good brand and that turntable will do a job for the new owner who has looked at a few in Richer sounds. I suppose the main thing is that you are playing records and getting in to it

However I would have liked to see you buying something like a Rega RP1 and at £240 you are almost at that starting point.

I wonder whether we fail people on the forum by not really getting over that such a starting point will provide years of satisfaction and hold its value better on the used market.

I have seen the review and you could have done far worse.

I like to see people put the money to a classic minimalist deck concentrating on the bearing arm and platter.

Best wishes
    Martin
    Martin, yes it is difficult but I think for those of us that have been plugging away at this vinyl lark for years it's all too easy to forget where we started and what we started with. The OP has already got the budget creaking at the seams and to have bought the Rega (worthy choice though it may be) would have necessitated dipping a bit deeper into the family pocket for a phono stage as well.

So all in all Vicki has gone with something that meets her needs, comes with a reassuring warranty, hasn't been bounced around in the post and gets a few records spinning in her home. And more importantly offers delight in what comes out of the speakers at a price that was affordable.

It also doesn't disgrace itself in reviews, so better than the USB affair that was aimed for at the beginning. Tick the box on that - the forum may have assisted a little here.

The alternative would have been to buy used and it's OK for those steeped in the knowledge to recognise the idiosyncrasies of what'll work and what's likely to require a rebuild as soon as you get it home but it's maybe not so easy when you're just kicking off. Unless someone has an engineering mindset I don't think you can tempt newbies to understand the importance of "concentrating on the bearing arm and platter" when all they want is to play some music that sounds better than their MP3 player. That in itself is an achievement.

So I'd say to Vicki well done, and when you start to have the feeling that maybe "I'd like a bit more bass there" or "I'm sure the treble could be a bit sweeter" get back on here. I doubt you'll be short of a view or two.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Martin, yes it is difficult but I think for those of us that have been plugging away at this vinyl lark for years it's all too easy to forget where we started and what we started with.
    Oh yes Bob very true. I started back in 1978 with a dodgy Garrard that cost 65 quid from Comet and was fitted with an equally dodgy Shure M75 ED.

I'm paul.

Until one has gained some knowledge of what they are looking for a new turntable is the way to go. As already said a used one may be faulty or worn and someone new may not know the reason why they are not getting what they want. I did say before not to spend too much at this stage so later a better turntable can be bought. It's possible to spend thousands and still find its not the right choice.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm vicki.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Martin, yes it is difficult but I think for those of us that have been plugging away at this vinyl lark for years it's all too easy to forget where we started and what we started with. The OP has already got the budget creaking at the seams and to have bought the Rega (worthy choice though it may be) would have necessitated dipping a bit deeper into the family pocket for a phono stage as well.

So all in all Vicki has gone with something that meets her needs, comes with a reassuring warranty, hasn't been bounced around in the post and gets a few records spinning in her home. And more importantly offers delight in what comes out of the speakers at a price that was affordable.

It also doesn't disgrace itself in reviews, so better than the USB affair that was aimed for at the beginning. Tick the box on that - the forum may have assisted a little here.

The alternative would have been to buy used and it's OK for those steeped in the knowledge to recognise the idiosyncrasies of what'll work and what's likely to require a rebuild as soon as you get it home but it's maybe not so easy when you're just kicking off. Unless someone has an engineering mindset I don't think you can tempt newbies to understand the importance of "concentrating on the bearing arm and platter" when all they want is to play some music that sounds better than their MP3 player. That in itself is an achievement.

So I'd say to Vicki well done, and when you start to have the feeling that maybe "I'd like a bit more bass there" or "I'm sure the treble could be a bit sweeter" get back on here. I doubt you'll be short of a view or two.
    Thank you so much.

We did look at a Rega and listen to it, but we wanted to use the speakers we already had and blow the budget (and some!) on just a turntable, so going for the Denon gave us the opportunity to do that. I also have this strange love of watching the needle/arm do it’s thing. I don’t know what it is, but it evokes some kind of childish excitement! Probably a memory from way back when and my older siblings getting a new automatic!

I was sad to read the post saying that the forum may have failed us. We are thrilled with our purchase, and our eldest sons couldn’t believe the sound, they haven’t heard vinyl before. I think we got the right advice, listened to all of it, and added it to our list of practical needs. The guy at Richer Sounds was impressed with our knowledge and spent an hour and a half with us trying all kinds of set ups that asked him to show us, no direction was pushed by him at all and he left it entirely to us and just advised on practical possibilities, like using our Q Acoustics and what turntables we could do that with.

We were afraid to buy second hand for exactly the reason that we don’t yet have the knowledge to problem solve. Coming to this dilemma with no knowledge is a different ball game to being armed with information, and I really am grateful for all the advice as we went into Richer Sounds with at least some knowledge, which we may not have known the specifics of, but we did impress the bloke with our knowledge! So I would call that a very successful forum experience!!

I'm vicki.

Thanks Paul, your advice was spot on, and very gratefully received.

I'm Martin.

Yes you are all right really. I just decided to launch into a devils advocate mode and get my gut feeling out about the new breed of turntables in that price area. I say new breed because an older man on a nostalgia and upgrade trip can get funny about these things

I did say it might be my hang up with a funny mix of feelings. To be fair these turntables like the Denon and Sony are better than many starter offerings of yesteryear.

So I am being naughty as we all had to start somewhere. Im not really looking down on the Denon because its looks fine and may be all someone needs. Denon are a good brand name and they just dont plan and manufacture rubbish

So yes we havent failed anyone and its a personal choice. If we can steer people away from the crosley cruisers and cheap supermarket usb turntables its a job well done.

Best wishes
    Martin
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 31-12-2017 at 12:42.

I'm Charlie.

Vicki,

I'm really pleased that the whole family is delighted with your new purchase. It will lead to many happy hours of family musical enjoyment. Feel free to join in and ask for advice in the future. In the meantime, just play some records and have fun.

Charlie
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm vicki.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Vicki,

I'm really pleased that the whole family is delighted with your new purchase. It will lead to many happy hours of family musical enjoyment. Feel free to join in and ask for advice in the future. In the meantime, just play some records and have fun.

Charlie
    Thanks Charlie. Had a vinyl New Year’s Eve ‘do’ at our and my older brothers brought their vinyl round, so many memories of the music blaring out of their bedrooms (I am the youngest) and so much fun. Amusing thing was my mums reaction was pretty much the same as it was back then.. ‘can you turn it down?’ ������

Very annoyed to find that the first vinyl I wanted to find online seems to be bloomin’ expensive! Typical! Was looking for Chris Isaak albums to include San Francisco days. Bah!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345