+ Reply to Thread

Thread: laser discs

I'm jamie.

Default laser discs

just been down to my local charity shop and they have shed loads.good titles too such as alien,Apocalypse now etc.
    any money in them?

edit, dont worry there's hundreds on ebay lol
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

The last manufacturing run of players was in 2009.
    I think it's safe to say that the format is dead.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Dave.

Oddly some players still seem in demand - 14 bids on this one so far - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-C...MAAOSwZVZZy4J1 That one is NTSC only though - but there are others which are PAL or multi-region, or NTSC/PAL.

There are also laserdiscs available - some cheap - while some very pricey - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laserdisc...cAAOSwUoNaPqsx

Not quite sure why anyone would want a player or any discs now.

I have a supply of HD DVDs plus a Toshiba HD DVD player - which are equally obsoleted - though the player is an excellent DVD player - though very slow - and the discs should still work - and I've not seen them all yet.
    Dave

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Oddly some players still seem in demand - 14 bids on this one so far - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-C...MAAOSwZVZZy4J1 That one is NTSC only though - but there are others which are PAL or multi-region, or NTSC/PAL.

There are also laserdiscs available - some cheap - while some very pricey - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laserdisc...cAAOSwUoNaPqsx

Not quite sure why anyone would want a player or any discs now.

I have a supply of HD DVDs plus a Toshiba HD DVD player - which are equally obsoleted - though the player is an excellent DVD player - though very slow - and the discs should still work - and I've not seen them all yet.
    some touted that they made great cd players and transports with suitable mods,so maybe thats the reason for some of the silly prices...or not...retro is the new thing these days,so proberly more to do with that
    anyhow some american companies even reboxed the innards and sold them on as something very special,with price suitably adjusted of course,some didn't even bother reboxing,stretching my memory but i think russ andrews offered some suitable mods along with plenty others no doubt.
    it was all based the the spill that the transports and motors etc where over engineered and more manly to deal with the big weighty discs it had to handle as a laser disc player etc or partly along those lines,and the reason they made killer cd spinnes,a cd in comparison would be like "a feather in the wind" compared to its normal duties.
    i will confess i never tried it,and maybe the spill was all true,even crazier as i had a few good models back in the day and never bothered for two reasons that kill it all for me
    1...there so bloody big and ugly
    2...the clatter and time it took to suss out what it was it was about to play before playing it
    ......hey thats four reasons
    think my bro has still got a couple up in his loft,maybe i should dust them down and give them a whirl and find out....then again i would still be left with those four bugbears above,and they arent going to get fixed anytime soon.

I'm Martin.

I had a Pioneer one for a bit. Quite amusing putting those big discs in the tray. Makes you feel like you are in some alternative 1970s 'Tommorrow's World' version of the future.

Borrowed it of a pal who had a few of them and about 50 films including Wagner's Ring cycle (loads of discs). He had a massive top of the range Phillips player for his own use. There is a whole subculture of people who are seriously into them even now. He had no problems flogging it all when he got bored with it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread