+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What happened to plain ol' Redbook CDs?

I'm George.

Default What happened to plain ol' Redbook CDs?

I didn't realise I was so out of the loop until 4 days ago when I found these CD formats: HQCD, Blu-spec CD, SHM-CD, XRCD. What the .....?

Apparently they ALL play on standard CDPs. Has anyone experienced any of these formats and how do they compare to their standard redbook counterpart?

Thanks guys
    George

Unless otherwise stated – My system, My room, My ears, My opinions. Measurements & double blind tests? If you're that interested – you do them.
    Kit: Modified Marantz CD7, Eddie Vaughn Carina, Lowther/Graves Audio Speakers, REL Subwoofer Tweaks: (Mapleshade Rack, Mapleshade IC, Kimber Kables, HGA PC, BPT block, Symposium Rollerblocks, Shun Mooks, QRT, Brilliant Pebbles)

I'm notAlone.

It's marketing bla-bla. Don't bother.

The only differences you can find with these physical support varieties, are (sometimes) different mastering material on them. Which is not always the case : I have SHM-CD which has exactly the same mastering as the corresponding 2006 remaster edition on CD.
    Of course, when the mastering is not the same, there are differences. Not always for the better, btw.

They are not different formats (contrarily to HDCD or DSD), merely different CD materials. If your CD player is not looney, you don't need them.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm George.

Thanks for that Dimitri. That'll save me spending 20 odd quid for plain old CDs...
    George

Unless otherwise stated – My system, My room, My ears, My opinions. Measurements & double blind tests? If you're that interested – you do them.
    Kit: Modified Marantz CD7, Eddie Vaughn Carina, Lowther/Graves Audio Speakers, REL Subwoofer Tweaks: (Mapleshade Rack, Mapleshade IC, Kimber Kables, HGA PC, BPT block, Symposium Rollerblocks, Shun Mooks, QRT, Brilliant Pebbles)

I like XRCD. The idea behind XRCD is the material on it is taken from the original master, JVC do the digital conversion using some special Sony low jitter processing (PCM-9000 magneto-optical disk) using either 20bit or 24bit before converting to 16bit using 'K2 Super coding' (standard cd does not have this when produced) the layers on the actual discs are supposed to be made from different material from std cds too. Basically the digital transfer is as clean as possible.

Sound wise all my XRCDs sound better (more detail and clarity mainly) than the same recordings on cd, so I personally think they are better. Having said that Hybrid SACDs from Linn records running on the cd layer sound everybit as good. Those discs are superb (I advise people to buy the sampler discs off their web site £5 each and free delivery). They obviously master everything very well.

Brent
    www.audioupgrades.co.uk

Worlds most upgraded Marantz CD63KI, ATC SIA2-150, ATC SCM-40, ATC C3C
    http://www.audioupgrades.co.uk/system.shtml for the rest.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

All in the mastering guv'nor. If the digital workstation is working to optimum and no longer mucking up the lowest bits, then Red Book *should* be fine. 24/96 and higher does allow far greater margin for error though apparently, so IMO the recording and mixing etc should be done in as high a resolution as possible and only converted to 16.44.1 at the very last minute.....

I must admit to wondering how long we have with CD as a physical format?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I must admit to wondering how long we have with CD as a physical format?
    Well I bloody well hope it's long enough for full cd quality (i.e lossless) downloads to be available!!
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebears View Post
    Well I bloody well hope it's long enough for full cd quality (i.e lossless) downloads to be available!!
    www.hdtracks.com amongst others.

MartinT Guest

I like the XRCD mastering process, these CDs sound extremely fine to me and close to SACDs in quality.

I'm George.

Thanks Martin. Will check out some XRCD. At minimum I can at least say, "tried them and didn't know what the fuss is about".
    George

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    www.hdtracks.com amongst others.
    Unfortunately very liitle there that I'm interested in...

I'll keep looking and hoping though.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

+ Reply to Thread