+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Quad ESL 57s

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    It might be the high voltage block, they are known to 'sag' over time. Sometimes one or a few of the individual rectifiers fail, so you end up with a lower voltage than should be.

The treble panels should have about 1500V on them and the bass panels about 6000V on them. If the voltages are low you do still get some output but dependent on the voltage level.

To measure these voltages you need a very high resistance probe to connect to a multimeter, otherwise the measuring kit can pull the voltage down.
    I have a self made high resistance probe that you are welcome to borrow if you feel confident to use it.
    Hi Alan

Too Technical for me i am sending them in on Sunday to be Professionally looked at...

Keep the offer in mind if my technician needs it...
    Amplifier & Graphic EQ
    Kenwood A65 with GE 850 Graphic EQ
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Wharfedale Diamond 9.0

I'm Dominic.

On Monday I managed to finally get to hear the venerable Quad ESLs. I could do an extensive listening test and comparison between the ESL 57 (revised by Quad Musikwiedergabe some two years ago) and the ESL 63, both driven by a Quad 606. Almost immediately it was clear that I like the ESL 63, and absolutely love the 57! I've never heard electrostats before, and the 57 was a revelation. Instrument separation and presence are simply jaw dropping. I was simply enjoying the music, forgetting everything around me, and the speakers disappeared completely. Never heard an orchestra, or chamber ensemble reproduced with such clarity. Similarly impressive: the reproduction of the human voice. On Dire Straits' 'Brothers in arms' I thought I could touch Mark Knopfler if I stretched out my arms.

As my current living situation is basically ideal to accommodate this bulky pair of speakers I am looking to buy a nice pair. Is there anything I should be looking out for?
    I've seen a pair completely rebuilt by Quad Musikwiedergabe 5 years ago, offered for 1900$, including the special stands by Quad Musikwiedergabe, and the original stands too (I hope I can negotiate the price a bit).
    If I were going for these, anything special I should test or be looking out for during a listening test?

Thanks for the help.

I'm Alan.

With any rebuilt 57s there should be absolutely NO fizzing, buzzing or crackling noises.

Put you ear close to the speaker with no music playing and listen over the whole area. If there is any noise then there is some leakage in the panel(s), this can be exacerbated in damp conditions.

With 57s ask if they have the clamp boards fitted, this prevents damage if overdriven, they are only rated at 25W.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    With any rebuilt 57s there should be absolutely NO fizzing, buzzing or crackling noises.

Put you ear close to the speaker with no music playing and listen over the whole area. If there is any noise then there is some leakage in the panel(s), this can be exacerbated in damp conditions.

With 57s ask if they have the clamp boards fitted, this prevents damage if overdriven, they are only rated at 25W.
    This was the Quad 57 modification for use with 303's that I fitted to my two pairs of 57's about 33 years ago!

ESL 57 mod by A60man, on Flickr
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

"On Dire Straits' 'Brothers in arms' I thought I could touch Mark Knopfler if I stretched out my arms."

You actually can if the 57's are in good condition!
    Spendorman

I'm Dominic.

Thank you for the tips, that's very helpful. I will do exactly that. Normally Quad Musikwiedergabe does fit a clamp board, but I'll ask explicitly. If these don't have them for whatever reason: is there a way to check the panels for arcing without removing the front grill?

I'm Simon.

If actively arcing youll see and hear it. If they have arced previously youll hear a high pitch pitter patter.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Dominic.

Thank you all. I have a much better idea now about what to look and listen for.

I'm John.

HiFi Shark sales portal will give you a broard window into the available units in Countries esily accessed from Switzerland.
    A little further investigation into a rebuilt models Treble Panel, will be prudent, as a Original
    Treble Panel, that is substituted to one that uses a different material to the Original, will have a effect on the sound being reproduced.
    This is a matter of personal choice, if a Original or New Material Version is producing a preferred sound.
    My choice is for the New Material Version, even though at present, I am about to Stack a
    OTA, OTEC Treble Panel Speaker Pair and a Original Panel Speaker Pair, to gauge the overall presentation.
    If it doesn't perform satisfactory, the OTA second pair search will continue.

I'm Dominic.

Awesome John. I am monitoring HiFi Shark, and every other month or so a feasible offer shows up. It's probably better to rule out all offers from private sellers that I can't listen to before buying, otherwise it's quite a leap of faith. If stacked Quads are even more impressive I have to hear them one day. I hope your stacked configuration works the way you imagined John!

On another note, does anybody know if ESL Labs (quadesl.nl) is still active? I read on a forum that they quit. But then again google registered changes to their website from after that forum post. I sent them an email but haven't heard back yet. Does anybody hear have any experiences with this dealer?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast