+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital Trauma.....!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

If the computer is seeing the device over the USB then there's not much likely to be wrong with the Mac or the USB cable.
    You say you've tested the DAC with another device - what device, and did you get a sound when you used it?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Grant.

computer volume muted?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

It's definitely not the volume (been caught be that before!).

The DAC was tested at my local dealers - I took it in and he plugged it in between a NAS and a Linn Streamer I think. I know that it was definitely connected via the USB cable. He's off now until 9th Jan so I'll have to wait before I can verify.

It's a good point about the Mac 'seeing' the DAC. Maybe I need to concentrate on some more troubleshooting with the DAC? Ideally with another computer (again ideally a Mac) connected by USB

I have noticed one bit of 'odd behaviour' in as much that normally when the Mac is switched on there is an audible click or such like (more a clunk really) inside the DAC as (I imagine) it is recognised by the Mac. There is also usually a similar audible click when a track is selected. The latter does not happen now - maybe related, I don't know???

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Have you got any Windows laptops kicking around?
    If so, try hooking one up and see what happens.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Grant.

Default Digital Trauma.....!

Ive also had them picked up but using wrong driver, but not up to speed with mac systems. As Chris says trying with a windows pc might show if its a mac issue. Ive seen new updates drop the correct driver etc.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

That's a good idea My work lappy is totally locked down by the corporate IT police, but I should be able to get a mate to pop by with something. For Windows I'll need to install drivers (not needed for the Mac) but it shouldn't be an issue.

Interestingly, I spent 40 minutes on the phone earlier to a member of Apple Tech support. Although very attentive and polite he didn't have the faintest idea of what a DAC was or that USB could be used for audio connectivity. I guess it's just not the sort of thing they normally come across. Not much help to me though!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12