+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Isolating speakers from suspended floor

I'm Neil.

You can read my thread with similar experiences here:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-vs-Decoupling

My solution was to use Bright Star IsoNodes in place of my speaker floor spikes. Using granite platforms isn't enough & real squishy / bouncy (but damped) decoupling is the best way to go.

After I'd decoupled my speakers I moved onto my rack & decoupled all the components. This gave me a welcome improvement too. As I have a speaker close to the rack I think this helped proportionally more than may happen in other rooms.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Paul.

I have solid floors and I tried some silicone pucks under my speaker stands and it made the system sound terrible. Bass became a bit strident and imaging was all over the place. There is no one solution that fits all, so you have to experiment quite a bit.
    ~Paul~

I'm Chris.

I am no expert but if I had stone/brick walls I would be looking at using some kind of bracket, extendable out to the position of where the speaker is now located. Just mount them low for floorstanders. Would that not isolate the speakers entirely? The brick wall will have too much mass to resonate.

I'll probably get shot down in flames for this idea.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    I am no expert but if I had stone/brick walls I would be looking at using some kind of bracket, extendable out to the position of where the speaker is now located. Just mount them low for floorstanders. Would that not isolate the speakers entirely? The brick wall will have too much mass to resonate.

I'll probably get shot down in flames for this idea.
    Wall mounting is not a daft idea.

Such mounts would need to keep the speakers fairly close to the wall though, otherwise they might 'lever' themselves off, depending on how much weight they were carrying.

I'm sure such a product is probably already available (and I don't mean ordinary speaker wall brackets for smaller speakers).

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Wall mounting is not a daft idea.

Such mounts would need to keep the speakers fairly close to the wall though, otherwise they might 'lever' themselves off, depending on how much weight they were carrying.
    It would have to be a DIY project I would think, if you did it.

I'm Geoff.

What do they use in clubs and discos? I've seen BIG speakers wall mounted as part of the 'house' system.

Location: Dutch now living in Milton Keynes in the United Kingdom

I'm Rob.

I had wall mounted heavy speakers on the wall mounted with special brackets in the Netherlands with Tight bolts. those brackets give you the possibility to tilt and swing the speakers around.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/New-A...30f93fc8b27-27

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Many years ago, when I first moved into my own house, I had floorstanders hanging on chains on each side of a bay window, from memory; they seemed to work quite well!
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    What do they use in clubs and discos? I've seen BIG speakers wall mounted as part of the 'house' system.
    The last time I went to a club there were other distractions, unfortunately.

I'm Alex.

Well, if anyone else is interested in these I can personally recommend them. They’re brilliant! I have much more bass depth and impact, the music therefore of course sounds so much better. I don’t feel the bass transmitting through the floor and it’s much quieter in my next room which hopefully means my neighbours won’t hate me anymore!

They don’t look very pretty but I’m sure I can put some wooden trim around them in the future to help improve the look somewhat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast