+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Isolating speakers from suspended floor

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Tempted to try these myself, useful thread
    I’ve ordered a pair. I’m guessing they’re closed for Christmas though as I have to wait a while for delivery.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by alcarmichael View Post
    Thank you for everyone’s comments and suggestions. I think the Townshend platforms are the way to go, I’ll have to wait a while until I can afford them though. In the meantime I’m contemplating giving these a try:

https://www.studiospares.com/Headpho...ser_465310.htm

Thoughts? Any experience of them?
    no experience but thoughts are....reassuringly expensive.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm James.

I’ve ordered a pair. I’m guessing they’re closed for Christmas though as I have to wait a while for delivery.
    Would you still use the spikes on your speakers/stands with these? My baby tannoys don't really do Earth shaking bass but I have had the occasional frown from the neighbours after I've cranked them up a bit the night before.
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Would you still use the spikes on your speakers/stands with these? My baby tannoys don't really do Earth shaking bass but I have had the occasional frown from the neighbours after I've cranked them up a bit the night before.
    My stands don’t have provisions to attach spikes. I think the fact that the base of my stands are perfectly flat and my wooden floor isn’t, contributed to the missing bass. I’ve since carefully repositioned them to get them as stable as possible and the bass is back. I’m guessing the foam platform will help compensate for my imperfectly flat floor.

I'm James.

My stands don’t have provisions to attach spikes. I think the fact that the base of my stands are perfectly flat and my wooden floor isn’t, contributed to the missing bass. I’ve since carefully repositioned them to get them as stable as possible and the bass is back. I’m guessing the foam platform will help compensate for my imperfectly flat floor.
    Well they're worth o punt and a tad less than the Townshend ones, though I don't doubt they're good
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Dennis.

There is a picture of my ESS Heil/Rogers mid/woof speakers on the "Show us your speakers" thread.

On first installation there was a lack of bass, and I have a wooden floor, and so theorised about that.
    I bought from RS acoustics, with a money back guarantee, a pair of granite plinths weighing 17k eaxh, and also had cut 10mm thick 'cushions' of EPDM rubber to go between the granite and the speaker bases.

The theory was that sound leaving the cabinet would travel through the rubber, hit the granite and be reflected back, but in both directions be attenuated when passing through the rubber which is not a 'pure spring', but lossy.

The bass improved, as did the mid, with much more attack.

I'm Lawrence.

I had an ESS power amp a few years ago, lovely thing. Did some research on the brand and discovered their AMT speakers, have always wanted a pair since. Should have kept the amp to match with the pair I might one day buy, rate as hens' teeth (possibly due to a manufacturing fault with the heatsink fins causing a high failure rate).

I'm Dennis.

I still have the brochures on the ESS amps and preamps, their figures were way ahead of the game back in the 80s.

I may be selling my ESS/Rogers speakers now I have the Betas, and I will also include all of the Xover parts and ESS woofers so that they can be easily restored to ESS AMT 1D spec should the buyer doubt my work with the BBC Rogers mid/woofer.

For about £1.5k, they are not really very compromised compared with the ADAM Betas which cost £25k at '09 prices, have 5 drivers, are active and use ICEpower amps. ADAM consulted Oskar Heil before taking and furthering his design as far as they could.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

I can vouch for the Townshend speaker bars, I have been using them under my Tannoy Kensingtons for a few years now, and although my listening room has a concrete floor the improvements gained from Isolating the speakers from the floor are still very obvious.
    I didnt want to mention them earlier as they are not cheap, and some folk may want to try more affordable solutions first, however; In your situation, I feel confident that this may be the best solution.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

When at Listen Inn, I noted the way the suspended floor was treated there, was to place a large MDF 'island' over the existing floor and bolt through to the joists underneath. it certainly strengthened the area where the speakers were placed but looked effin' ugly. A pal took the initiative from this and replaced the floorboards under each speaker with solidly bolted mdf 'squares' and claimed an 'improvement.'

One thing that also may help is to place paving slabs under the speaker stands. Reviewer Jimmy Hughes had a heated concrete floor and still used them before the huge Impulse speakers arrived, dressing the tops of the slabls with attractive tiling so they didn't look so hideous. Long time ago now and modern speakers may not benefit in the same way.

I'm sure the Townshend affairs will be just fine I fear though, the costs are very high as many accessories are these days.. I suppose it depends on the speakers used and how 'tight' their bass is?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast