+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Isolating speakers from suspended floor

I'm Alex.

Default Isolating speakers from suspended floor

Merry Christmas.

I’ve recently moved house and seem to have an issue with my floor transmitting sound! It’s suspended wooden floorboards with an oak floor atop. The floor seems to be sucking out the bass in my living room where the speakers are, if I go into the next room I then hear the bass. This makes me think my new neighbours will be quite displeased.

I’ve checked out the quite impressive looking Townshend platforms but am wondering if there’s anything at the - just bought a house so broke - end of market for me to experiment with?

Speakers are B&W 805N with the dedicated B&W (no spikes) stands.

I'm Andrew.

Grab a pair of slabs from a local garden type place for a quick fix/experiment and stand the speaks on they.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    Grab a pair of slabs from a local garden type place for a quick fix/experiment and stand the speaks on they.
    No, there's no compliance there, so the only effect is due to added mass. However, a heavy slab sitting on top of a tyre inner tube does have compliance and will be a lot more effective. Also, there would be some scope for tuning the system by altering the pressure in the inner tube.
    Of course, wobblyness could be an issue to bear in mind.

I'm Brian.

I've also got suspended wood floors, I had good results with a marble base with blutak underneath and then I had nice rubber feet made for my speakers instead of using the spikes, there was definetly an improvement in the bass, it isolated the vibrations a lot as I could always feel the bass in my feet through the floor before but now I only feel it when really loud or with very deep bass.

I'm Mike.

Default Isolating speakers from suspended floor

I'm Martin.

Slabs do work after a fashion, I used to use them when I had a room with suspended floor (never again).

Or you could try a pile of cork mats/floor tiles under each stand. Not tried that but it might work and less unsightly than slabs. Granite or wooden chopping boards might also be worth a go.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Kevin.

Blue Horizon spike shoes worked well for my stand mount speakers on a suspended floor.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm paul.

The slabs I use are covered in black velvet, got them with some red rose speakers and stands I once had. Have a suspended floor in my garden room, never had a problem, but then under the floor are just timbers and not a cavity like a house,
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm paul.

When I built a listening room in my barn in France I built concrete columns under the floor, level with the floor and stood the speakers on them. Worked a treat.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Russell.

I’ve read that if you have a suspended floor, the best place to locate speakers is close to the end of the joist. Placing your speakers along an inside wall where the floor is bouncier exasperates the problem.

And similar to Paul’s solution, if there is crawl space under your floor you can brace up the floor directly under the speakers, with a paving stone and some heavy timber under the joist. Whether this will prevent bass from propagating to the neighbors? Isolating from the floor is bound to help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast