+ Reply to Thread

Thread: May the Rega Brio 2017 be the right amp for me?

I'm Martin.

Default May the Rega Brio 2017 be the right amp for me?

Hello everybody,

I am looking for a new amp to replace my Yamaha RX396 Receiver which I consider as the weakest link in my audio chain by now. I am playing records (mostly Rock and Metal, but also Pop, Jazz and Folk) on a Rega RP1 with a Ortofon 2M Blue through a Graham Slee GramAmp 2 SE, and on the other side there is a pair of Dynaudio Emit M20s. Apart fom that, I use a Raspberry Pi with a Hifiberry DAC to stream FLAC files and Spotify and I also have a Yamaha BluRay-Player that I use for CDs as well (I am also looking for a decent CD-Player, but that's another topic). While I am far from disliking what I get out of this combo, I was wondering if a new amp could improve the sound significantly.

So why the Brio? Firstly, my HiFi dealer recommends it and it's in my budget. It's not that I don't trust him, but with expenses in this price range I like hearing multiple opinions. Secondly, I like Rega's minimal approach. It has no integrated DAC, no Loudness meter and apart from the integrated phono preamp it has no other frills I don't need. Thirdly, I remember reading posts of people saying how much they like how the Brio drives the Emits, but I can't find them anymore.

My only concern up until now is that the Emits have an impedance of 4Ω, and though the Brio is specified for 4Ω speakers they say that "Continued high level use into 4Ω may cause the case to exceed 40° C above the ambient temperature." Now I don't know what they mean by "Continued high level use". Volume is very subjective, but I consider myself as someone not liking "loud" music too much (I wear earbuds on concerts and very often I prefer the reduced volume I am getting through them). Apart from that, if someday I might find out that the 4 high level inputs are not enough for me, I will be fine getting an external DAC for connecting the digital stuff, but that is also another topic.

So what do you guys think? Can anybody tell me about the temperature using the Brio with 4Ω speakers? Or do you have any other concerns or recommendations?

Thank you very much,
    Martin

I'm Dennis.

There really are numerous second hand very good amps available out there, and I suspect from dealers.
    I think that many SS amps are now so near perfect as to be ignorable SQ wise, and rather would buy a reliable well built second hand one any day, having never bought a new amp, and never had a failure.

I'm Martin.

It will be fine with 4 ohm speakers, you would have to really have it cranked up loud for a long time to get any problem.

Personally, though, I'd go second hand, get a lot more for your money. Or something as good as the Brio for a lot less.

I bought a Sony 530ES amplifier from a member here a few weeks back, cost was £130. Was going to be for my brother but he's bought a Denon now. Put it in my main system just to test it and it is still there a month later. Not saying it is the last word in quality but it's easily as good as a new Brio and a lot cheaper.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ian.

An alternative might be my Leema Pulse III for sale here. Originally £1495 now £550. For the money you get a very good DAC and mm/mc phono stage so you could reduce your box count at the same time

I'm Martin.

Thank you for your responses. I made up my mind and wanted to let you know that I am not going for the Brio. As I am not keen on buying used electronics that I cannot test from someone I don't know I did a bit of research and finally went for a Yamaha A-S501 which I found for less thane 300€. I'll give it a try and see if it fits my needs.

I'm Martin.

It's a good-looking amp.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread