+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Isolating speakers from suspended floor

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by alcarmichael View Post
    Merry Christmas.

I’ve recently moved house and seem to have an issue with my floor transmitting sound! It’s suspended wooden floorboards with an oak floor atop. The floor seems to be sucking out the bass in my living room where the speakers are, if I go into the next room I then hear the bass. This makes me think my new neighbours will be quite displeased.

I’ve checked out the quite impressive looking Townshend platforms but am wondering if there’s anything at the - just bought a house so broke - end of market for me to experiment with?

Speakers are B&W 805N with the dedicated B&W (no spikes) stands.
    In such situations, there really is no substitute for proper isolation, which the Townshend Podium products provide preventing the room/house structure (including connected neighbours' properties) from singing along to your music. Slabs, Blu-Tak etc only alter the transmission characteristics of the speaker/floor interface, rather than blocking transmission altogether. You can DIY an isolation solution with straightforward mass/spring theory, but ensuring stability is a key factor with speakers such as yours that the Townshend stuff addresses pretty effectively.

Townshend Seismic Speaker Bars are rather cheaper than Podium platforms and work just as well with suitably dimensioned speakers, but I suspect not your B&Ws unless you used different stands with a larger footprint.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Slabs, Blu-Tak etc only alter the transmission characteristics of the speaker/floor interface, rather than blocking transmission altogether.
    Yep.
    You can DIY an isolation solution with straightforward mass/spring theory, but ensuring stability is a key factor with speakers such as yours that the Townshend stuff addresses pretty effectively.
    Yep.

I'm Paul.

I have some Atacama speaker stands that had pressed steel bases that were not very siff. I replaced these with wooden bases made from two chopping boards from Tesco that I bonded together and then drilled the mounting holes, so they could be bolted to the columns. Maybe something similar but with patio slabs could work. Two slabs together or maybe with a layer of foam between, you could play around a bit until you find the solution and then cover it with something somit looks domestically aceptable.
    ~Paul~

I'm Alex.

Thank you for everyone’s comments and suggestions. I think the Townshend platforms are the way to go, I’ll have to wait a while until I can afford them though. In the meantime I’m contemplating giving these a try:

https://www.studiospares.com/Headpho...ser_465310.htm

Thoughts? Any experience of them?

I'm Rohan.

Auralex platforms will do a very good job and at far less cost than anything made by Townshend (although with perhaps slightly less elan).

I'm Rohan.

Thank you for everyone’s comments and suggestions. I think the Townshend platforms are the way to go, I’ll have to wait a while until I can afford them though. In the meantime I’m contemplating giving these a try:

This is like Auralex on the cheap, you might be surprised by how good this solution will be!

I'm Martin.

Yes many of us cant rip the floors up or build sound chambers. The paving slab idea is as cheap as chips and I understand that it alters the interface between the suspended floor enough to make a pleasant change.

They are heavy enough to provide smaller speakers with stability but then Im just using them with Minstrels and stand mounts. Larger speakers may take more thought

Then you can play around with layers without spending the earth. Im a big fan of cheaper home solutions like foam and white tac but then my equipment is a compromise anyway and Im not yet aiming for the last word in sound.

A concrete slab with a fabric frame cover can be integrated into the home without spending silly money

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    The paving slab idea is as cheap as chips and I understand that it alters the interface between the suspended floor enough to make a pleasant change.
    A change maybe, but it's not really addressing the issue.
    You can DIY an isolation solution with straightforward mass/spring theory...
    This is addressing the issue because the "mass/spring" is fundamentally the way all isolation or suspension systems work. Without the spring the mass/spring theory breaks down, or at least you're just altering the mass and leaving the spring part of the equation as the springiness of the floor. Those foams slabs act as a low Q spring and will be a lot more effective than nothing at all.

I'm Martin.

well yes it will not be addressing every issue that people have. I didnt really have a problem with boomy bass or the bass being sucked away.

I wanted to hear the speaker more isolated from the wooden floorboards. I spike it straight onto the concrete which adds further isolation with the tip spikes and I hear more of the speaker doing its own work apart from the floor. The floor will never be completely out of the equation. I could add spike shoes and extra layers..

I could take things further but the speaker is surprisingly stable on those spikes and I prefer what I hear. I think slabs will help and for £3 each it may well be worth a try...they can always be used under the barbecue outside or something

I'm James.

Tempted to try these myself, useful thread
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast