+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amplifier advice

I'm Loz.

Default Amplifier advice

Evening all.

I've been thinking of changing the amplifier in my set up for a while now. Im not too sure where to go next. So what do you guys think might slot in nicely and improve what I have already? Prefer integrated with a budget of up to £500 or so for second hand. Not in a hurry so happy to wait for the right thing. Cheers

Loz

I'm James.

What are you looking to improve, which areas don't satisfy with the Arcam? Solid state or valve, musical tastes, etc?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm paul.

for that sort of price to spend i would look out for a avi labs series integrated.
    some peeps reckon they can sterile and lean,ive been using mine for awhile now and don't hear any of that.
    with the speakers you have i would think that they would be a nice combination,of course its just my opinion/view and tastes....so totally worthless unless you can hear one yourself ...but its a starting point and can be had for around the price your willing to pay...built well to along with plenty of power and current for those future hard to drive speaker upgrades if any such urges should come along
    just saying...ill get my coat!!

ps,and james questions above are spot on..best answer them first....then ill still say avi lab series integrated amp

I'm Patrick.

I spent £500 on the 2017 Rega Brio R earlier this year and it's just great.

I'm Andy.

I'd look for either a Sugden A21a, Sonneteer Campion or LFD Zero. All have wonderful clarity and musicality.

I'm paul.

i think what our various replies have indicated is that we all have our favorites,along with different tastes...never gonna be no right or wrong advice here regarding this matter.
    its just going to come down to your taste,system and ears regarding which is best and right for you,as is the way for all of us.
    can you borrow,beg,get on loan afew to try and take it from there?

I'm Loz.

Thanks for the advice so far.

I should say that I'm pretty happy with how things sound with the Arcam but like many of us I guess there is sometimes a nagging curiosity to know how much things could be better. Probably worth ignoring it to avoid disappointment and a healthier bank balance! I have dipped my toe into valves with a Firebottle + and have been very impressed so would happily consider that. In fact I did consider a Copland CSA 28/29. Best of both worlds? The Rega Brio R ticks the boxes for quite a few on AoS I've noticed and I dare say would be relatively easy to audition at home. Musical tastes? That's hard to define. But just now favourites are Gas - Narkopop, Slowdives's latest one, Thurston Moore - Rock N Roll Consciousness, Floating Points - Elaenia, Bert Jansch - Avocet, Big Star - #1 Record.

I'm Dan.

Just from looking at the replies, some of the suggestions are going to give you a very different flavour to the sound. Some of the amps are a sideways move, but most are going to be quite different, especially the mentioned LFD and Copland. From working on some of these lines, none of them is going to disappoint, but my favorites would be the Copland and the Rega, with the LFD not far behind. But that is strictly a personal opinion (and I have a soft spot for Copland). An audition really is the best way to go.

+ Reply to Thread