+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Warm sounding Power amp

Location: Dutch now living in Milton Keynes in the United Kingdom

I'm Rob.

Yes I think my first thing will be a chord company silver plus cable, I found a remote for my Audirvana plus so I can leave the mackbook in the stereo cabinet with a short usb cable and change the music with my phone.

I'm Andrew.

Well seeing as how I'm in the mood for a punch up I'm going to say that silver cables are bad if your gear is too warm.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    Well seeing as how I'm in the mood for a punch up I'm going to say that silver cables are bad if your gear is too warm.
    The opposite I'd have thought. Cables with silver or silver plated cores seem to have a tendency to 'light things up' in my experience, so in a warm sounding system they may help the balance. However, where there's an existing tendency to leanness or brightness in a system, copper cored cables may seem better.

I'm Andrew.

Yeah I got that one wrong. Arse about face. Christmas booze again. Still it could be worse, I could be so old I struggle to hear the doorbell.

I'm Rob.

You are absolutely right, so back to the drawing board, does anybody know copper core usb cables?

I'm Andrew.

In all seriousness Rob for me the speakers and pre are the weak areas at this level.

I'm Rob.

Ouch that hurts, but thanks for being honest, I am aware it is a budget system, maybe in the future I am able to upgrade, but for now I have to do with the things I have and can do little upgrades.

I'm Andrew.

You've a good starting point there chap. Maybe look out for a passive pre in the new year such as the excellent Tisbury, cheap and good in the one box.

I'm Rob.

I am talking here about minimal changes, I have an arcam alpha 8 pre amp but since I heard the Nobsound ns-01P the Arcam is redundant, the sound is so much better, now listening to delicate sounds of thunder from Pink Floyd that sounds really good. since I have the tube amp I don't want to go back, I bought this amp more as a test because I heard a tube amp at Cris's. I did a lot of overtime lately and it seems sometimes when you are tired that the music sounds less good, and sometimes you switch on the system and you think Yes, this is it. I will definitely have a look in more copper based wiring and the Tisbury amp and the behringer a500.
    First I like to hear from Chris if the van Damme speaker cable makes a difference, I think he has a compareble system.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Tube View Post
    First I like to hear from Chris if the van Damme speaker cable makes a difference, I think he has a compareble system.
    I'll let you know. It may be a better first step than replacing half your gear as someone, rather indecently, suggested.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast