+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garrard 401 SME3012 winter project

I'm Tim.

Looks lovely.
    I want to make one with recess in it like yours one day.
    I wouldn’t go for Jelco unless you need detachable headshell.
    There are much better options, Hadcock and Alphason’s work well. I use a OL Silver mki on mine and it sounds really good. So if you can score a more modern OL that would be a good choice.
    Just a few ideas for you to think about.
    Roksan Tabriz works well too.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Looks lovely.
    There are much better options, Hadcock and Alphason’s work well. I use a OL Silver mki on mine and it sounds really good. So if you can score a more modern OL that would be a good choice.
    I'd put a properly fettled Jelco ahead of any of the Rega-based arms.

Having said that I could never go back to the inflexibility of an arm without a removable headshell.

If you have any variety at all in what you listen to, multiple cartridges - conicals, modern profiles, different carts for late mono/reissues and early mono, 78s - are a must to get the best out of it. Why else have a vintage idler?

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Looks lovely.
    Hi Tim, food for thought. Thanks
    I would ideally like the flexibility of a detachable headshell.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    If you have any variety at all in what you listen to, multiple cartridges - conicals, modern profiles, different carts for late mono/reissues and early mono, 78s - are a must to get the best out of it. Why else have a vintage idler?
    The flexibility and variety is the key for me on this deck. I already have a deck with a detail digging Naim Aro/ Dynavector. (fixed headshell)
    The fixed headshell approach leaves me with nowhere else to go with my vinyl playback and after years of that approach I get frustrated at a one dimensional solution,
    especially as I have a wide variety of Vinyl source material in my collection, Mono, Stereo, original deep groove pressings and a nice selection of modern reissues.

Flexibility is the only way to go for me. It just makes sense.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123