+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garrard 401 SME3012 winter project

I'm Adam.

Default Garrard 401 SME3012 winter project

So after much deliberation and bugging knowledgeable folk, I finally took the plunge and stuck my toe in the Idler TT experience. I have had a NEW Linn LP12 for a number of years and whilst going down the black hole money pit of upgrades, in small steps, I came to the inevitable decision to invest or not in the horrendous outlay on a Keel sub chassis and a New power supply coming to several thousands of pounds.
    Anyway the LP 12 with Legendary Naim Aro arm, sounded great and with a nice Dynavector DVXX2mk2 I was a very happy jazzer.
    Incidentally, I had never quite understood the old fruit box knock as my new era LP12 sounded nothing like what others had described.

I had seen these wonderful old idler TTs on the forum and new of their legendary status with vinyl junkies.
    A recent overhaul of the entire system, down the Tannoy MG route with new valve power amp to match seemed to be on the right track and only left this lingering itch about the Idler...

I tracked down from this parish, a decent Garrard 401 and it came with a very nice SME3012 tonearm.
    After a home service, (very proud!) a new paint job, from Ray at Classic turntable co. And a rewire and check over of the arm by Johnnie at Audio Origami I was ready to roll. The ensemble came in its original SME 2000 "Massive" plinth which had been customized with a huge sheet of lead under the top plate to give the mass required. (I have a plinth on order with Russ From layers of Beauty)
    Tom (montesquieu) from this parish gave me so much guidance throughout the process, I drove the poor man to distraction with shit loads of questions. Thanks Tom, much appreciated and a real credit to the AOS ethos. You will see from the picture I am running a vintage Ortofon SPU on the set up.
    I must just say that the majority of my records are from the 1950s through to the early 70s, so lots of golden period Jazz.
    I run all the vinyl front end through the Hashimoto HM-7 SUT.

So how does it compare to the Linn LP12? Initial first impressions...
    The Linn as stated, was detailed, with great mids and plenty of impact, always a very good listen.

The Garrad with the Ortofon.. well, enjoyable is an understatement. The music seems like real music and not Hifi, not ultra detailed, but still retains plenty of detail. The bass is just an organic beautiful sound that you feel. But the real magic seems to be the mid range, especially vocals. I played some Sinatra and Mel Torme last night and it just engrossed me to the point of paralysis. I loved it.
    Anyway these are very early impressions m, the new plinth may also change things further and I will continue to enjoy both set ups. I suppose ultimately one will have to go as my cottage living room resembles a Hifi jumble.. or maybe they can both stay!
    So far though there seems to be only one in the running.

This is no way an LP12 bash. I really like the Linn, but the Garrard is a different presentation, pretty unexpected with the level of difference. Again thanks to those who chipped in to help.

"lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Andrew.

Looks excellent. I see that you also use DUelund cables, I couldn't get on with them personally in my 301/3012 setup but know that they do sound great with the right kit. I see you also have a HM7 SUT that should sound excellent and is on my bucket list. Has Paul at RFC had a look at your XOs? All in all I think your in for a truly enjoyable Xmas.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Paul.

There is something special about Garrards. My 401 is the second TT I have owened and I bought it years ago and it has stayed.
    ~Paul~

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Looks excellent. I see that you also use DUelund cables, I couldn't get on with them personally in my 301/3012 setup but know that they do sound great with the right kit. I see you also have a HM7 SUT that should sound excellent and is on my bucket list. Has Paul at RFC had a look at your XOs? All in all I think your in for a truly enjoyable Xmas.
    Hi Andrew
    Yes, Paul at RFC has made me some of his great external crossovers, really was a big improvement!
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...Rfc+crossovers

Those tinned copper cables by Duelund work very well in my system and the added attraction was the cost, a stone wall bargain! I even made some shielded lengths for connecting the SUT to the pre, superb.
    Indeed a good Christmas is on the cards !

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Philip.

Glad to see that it went to a good home, looks like you are having loads of audiophile fun with it.

I'm Geoff.

I had one very similar, complete with a braced SME 2000 plinth, but with 9" SME and Shure V15 III. All absolutely mint. Cost me £60!

Mind you, it was about 30 years ago.

Didn't get on with the SME and V15, so an Ittok+Decca replaced it. Didn't get on with the Ittok either, so a Mission 774 went on. That worked nicely.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    Glad to see that it went to a good home, looks like you are having loads of audiophile fun with it.
    Hi Phillip it will be cherished and enjoyed.
    I hope it gives you a little joy seeing it used again. Many thanks again

montesquieu Guest

Nice to see it all up and running!

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Nice to see it all up and running!
    Well done Adam! Sounds like fun!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I'm Adam.

Come on over David over the Xmas break..and hear your mono blocks and pre driving the whole ensemble!!
    You'll love it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast