+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from Vermont USA

I'm Urban.

Default Hello from Vermont USA

Hello,
    I Sold Audio @ Audio Den in So Burlington, VT 05403 from 1983 to 1987.
    I have been a Audio Video enthusiast / Tweek ever since.
    Have been going to the Annual "salon son image" Audio /Video show in Montreal CA.

Have been a tube enthusiast from the beginning with a Conrad Johnson MV75a-1a and Audio Research SP-6B-1 driving Snell Aiii in Walnut the last hand built pair before Peter died.
    Currently listening to conrad-johnson ET5 and Premier 350SA, thru Stephen Sank custom RCA interconnects and MIT MH-750 Music Hose Loudspeaker interface cable, into Thiel CS5 s in Brazilian Rosewood. I am very pleased with this combination which gives me no sense of listening fatigue. I am able to listen and enjoy for hours.

My streaming source is a OPPO BDP-105
    My turntables are SOTA sapphire with Dynavector DV 505 & Signet XK-50 arms, Ariston Rd 110 SL with Signet XK-50, Thorens TD 126 Mk II Electronic with factory IsoTrack TP-16 wTP-63wands.
    My Phono Preamplifier is a conrad-johnson TEA2 High gain triode equalization amplifier
    I prefer Dynavector Low output M/C Phono cartridges Karat 17D 3, Karat 17D 2 mkII, Karat 17D 2, Karat 23RS MR & Karat 23R all are 5.3g mass with Output Voltage of ~0.2mV

Really enjoy listening to Female vocalists, Instrumental Jazz, Acoustic Guitar, Church pipe Organ music, Chamber music, always finding a discovering more music favorites on Pandora!

I have been experimenting with recording my digital music sources onto cassettes and enjoying the analog results utilizing my Nakamichi decks 700ZXL, 681ZX, Dragon, ZX-9 & ZX-7 .

I am thoroughly enjoying my Audio journey and would enjoy sharing my experiences with others.

Enjoy!
    Urban

PS - If anyone sees a no brain er based on the above please share I would enjoy hearing from You !

I'm Geoff.

Hi Urban. Welcome to AOS.

You have an interesting selection of equipment there. Tell us what future plans you may have.

This is a friendly place, so feel free to join in the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

montesquieu Guest

Welcome Urban!

I have been to Burlington, but not since the late 80s, I had friends at that time in a village called Richmond on the main road east. Had a wonderful couple of weeks in autumn chasing the riot of turning leaves, for a European the sheer unexpected scale of the spectacle leaves you awe-struck.

Snell A's are something special I have heard a couple of pairs and a nice partner in the C-Js.

I'm Urban.

Default Hello from Vermont USA

Hi Geoff,

The immediate project is to master a combination that allows me to make a cassette recording of a favorite record when rested and in the mood, so that when I get home from work and feel to tired to get into playing a record, I can drop in a cassette and enjoy analog sound with virtually no effort and relax.
    So I am trying to determine the best wet method to clean a record to promote sound quality and reduce / eliminate static noise, while preserving the integrity of the record for future plays.
    I my have found a break through regarding static elimination during record play, which deals with the static charges generated during play. Please find the link on the next line. With full explanation.
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/tu...w_listing=true
    My arlo-audio-lp-static-eliminater is to arrive tomorrow in the mail. Looking forward to testing this device out. I will share my experiences with it in use.
    I am planning to use my "Stephen Sank" from Arizona USA RCA interconnects to connect the conrad-johnson TEA2 HG to the Nakamichi cassette deck making the recording.
    I am still experimenting with "Noise Reduction" Nakamichi Hi-ComII vs Nak Dolby B or C vs dbx models 224X made in japan vs 228 made in usa vs no compander used at all.
    I must confess that so far the "No" noise reduction tests have surprised me. No audible tape hiss! ?? Back in the day early 80s I do not remember making any recordings without Nak Dolby C .

Enjoy!
    Urban

I'm Manny.

Interesting journey. I use a Conrad Johnson Premier 140 and it's easily one of my favourite power tube amps even compared to their Art series.

I've not heard a solid state CJ amp - how do you find it?

I'm Urban.

Hi vinyl,

I have a pair of MV-75a-1s that I run in mono mode to get ~140 watts of tube power, which was great with the Snell Aiii s. Does your Premier 140 use 6550 out put tubes as well?

The Premier 350SA that I enjoy was an Export Edition 240V that was delivered to the Netherlands. So I run it 240V unmodified. Has even more authority than the 130V edition I am told.
    The adage "It just sounds right" applies here, very Tube sounding with an absolute bass control only solid state can deliver. The CS5 s are 4 Ohm and desire all the power they can get.
    Sound stage, depth, detail and mid range to die for, clear and extended but never harsh. I was just listening to some church organ music at just below clipping breath taking !
    Just found and read this thread and can really agree with the comments, My ET5 is billed as a baby GAT for less money, I really enjoy the combination and they will drive almost any loudspeaker.
    http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...zing-amplifier
    Fair to say I am very satisfied with the Premier 350SA s performance.

Enjoy!
    Urban

I'm Manny.

Hi, yes the Premier 140 uses eight 6550's. I'm using NOS original Svetlana 6550C winged C - made in JSC Svetlana SED (Svetlana Electron Devices) factory in St Petersburg.

It's getting really tough to find any more reliable winged C tubes! I've discussed the same with Jeff Fischel the senior tech at CJ and I'm probably going to try the KT120's in the future as they're confirmed electrically compatible. What are you using?

Cheers,
    Manny

I'm Urban.

Hi Manny,
    I've also discussed the same with Jeff Fischel the senior tech / now owner of CJ.
    http://www.theaudiobeat.com/news/con..._ownership.htm
    I much enjoyed the article for content, as well as putting a face with one of my audio mentors, I wish him the best, I digress.
    I have not tried a KT120 as of yet and have not even started the research as to which are favored, You ?
    All my CJ tubed amps have factory installed tube sets at this time, ranging from New low hours to Mid life wonderful. GE 6550 s drivers escape me, but can look if curious.
    My Audio Research D-250 has been the 6550 consumer with 8 per channel. I love this amplifier but soon realized that if I wanted more affordable output I needed to go SS.
    So to attempt to keep the 250 running I bought Tung-Sol JAN-6550 S16 s nos. Years later I have been thinking I had a supply of output tubes for the CJ s. Thinking more efficient.
    This all leads to why I wanted to try the CJ ET5 because of it's 1 6922 tube. To try to keep it simple, 1 balanced, quiet, harmonic tube and you are good to go. I Lucked out big time!

Enjoy!
    Urban

+ Reply to Thread