+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrible internet speed

I'm Dave.

Default Terrible internet speed

Since we managed to get Broadband here, ten years ago, the speed is a maximum of 1.2 Mb, which is just about workable. A fair part of the time it goes down to 0.5, as it is now. Last week, we had 5 days with no internet speed at all. With such low speeds, everything is a misery and some things, like banking are often not possible.

An Openreach engineer was booked but he cancelled, saying there was an exchange fault, though BT now deny that even happened.

We are out in the sticks, with only 8 other houses in the locality and a few miles from our green internet box, though half a mile away there is an estate which has Superfast fibre broadband.

We have complained to BT numerous times over the past ten years, spending countless hours connecting, disconnecting, moving laptops around and talking to BT call centre staff who "sympathise" but can do nothing. We usually say that we will change provider but of course that won't make any difference because another provider will just use the same BT equipment.

Anyone know who we can complain to who can make a difference ? Our MP wouldn't/couldn't help.

I'm Grant.

will depend on if you were guaranteed a minimum speed or not i guess.

The Ofcom voluntary code

The Ofcom code is voluntary, but many of the biggest suppliers are signed up. You can find an up-to-date list of broadband providers who've signed up to the code on Ofcom's website.

These providers must give you the expected range of maximum speeds for your line at the point of sale. They must help you with your speed issues, and if your speed remains below your minimum guaranteed, they must let you exit your contract penalty-free. Or alternatively you can agree to continue the contract at a lower monthly cost.

You can find your minimum guaranteed broadband speed in the information your provider sent you after the sale or upgrade.

And if you want to change broadband supplier you only have to notify the company you wish to move to. Your new supplier will then handle every aspect of the change.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

You should still move from BT just on principle. Remember how they robbed us silly when they had the monopoly?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

you could go to mobile broadband if you get decent signal. will obviously depend on you usage
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Our 'guaranteed' Broadband speed is 1.25 and that is what we get, some of the time. They have said that we are free to go to whichever provider we fancy but the poor service will remain the same, because it will use the present BT equipment.

I did check with Talk Talk and Plusnet but they confirmed that they couldn't improve on this pitiful service.

In the news yesterday, the headline was that we will all have the right to 10 Mb by 2020. Unfortunately, they didn't emphasise that is subject to financial constraints - meaning that if it costs Openreach money, they are not obliged to do it.

The only way we managed to get Broadband here, ten years ago, was that I obtained the direct telephone number of the Openreach CEO, who got the job done. What I need now is the name and number of someone who can help, because the call centres are obviously there to fob us off.

I'm Martin.

If you haven't got the infrastructure it isn't going to happen no matter who you complain to. Move out of the sticks
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

That is the problem. In this free market, BT are kings of the castle. Where I live, although other providers can provide a service, BT throttles them through BT's exchange so they perform even worse than BT (yes, it is possible folks).

Also, BT can (not that they do this deliberately (sic)) wire up the internal connections so that you still don't get the speed you should. I had an ex-BT engineer check out my property and just by connecting the wires differently on the internal connection box got my speed up from 11mb to 23mb. BT have just offered me Infinity again, but of course, once you follow the link -surprise, surprise, it's not available on my line. But I can have unlimited broadband at up to 17mb!!

Some of us cannot get away from awful BT.

I'm Duncan.

Best thing I did was to get rid of BT completely.

Happy Days

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by SquireC View Post
    Also, BT can (not that they do this deliberately (sic)) wire up the internal connections so that you still don't get the speed you should. I had an ex-BT engineer check out my property and just by connecting the wires differently on the internal connection box got my speed up from 11mb to 23mb. BT have just offered me Infinity again, but of course, once you follow the link -surprise, surprise, it's not available on my line. But I can have unlimited broadband at up to 17mb!!
    In BT's defence, the line comes into the premises, and they are not responsible for any internal extension cabling. Their responsibility stops at the master socket.
    BT no longer fit extension cabling, and haven't done so for at least 25 years.
    Householders are notoriously tight fisted, and would rather fuck it up cobble it together themselves, rather than pay someone who knows what they're doing.
    It's the same with wired data network cabling - they'll do everything they can to avoid putting their hands in their pocket and get the job done properly.

You've had someone who knows what they're doing look at yours, so you are very definitely in the minority.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Grant.

not at its fastest but ok considering im at end of the line...still awaiting virgin reaching me...they say they are on way lol
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast