+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrible internet speed

I'm Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    In BT's defence, the line comes into the premises, and they are not responsible for any internal extension cabling. Their responsibility stops at the master socket.
    BT no longer fit extension cabling, and haven't done so for at least 25 years.
    Householders are notoriously tight fisted, and would rather fuck it up cobble it together themselves, rather than pay someone who knows what they're doing.
    It's the same with wired data network cabling - they'll do everything they can to avoid putting their hands in their pocket and get the job done properly.

You've had someone who knows what they're doing look at yours, so you are very definitely in the minority.
    As a result of changes introduced relatively recently, and slipped in beneath most people's radar, the point at which a service provider responsibility stops has been shifted back to the boundary of the the property at which the service is provided.

In our neck of the woods the phone lines are above ground and when we had a problem mid-2017 they claimed that the fault was located at point between an imaginary vertical rising at our boundary and the master socket and hence could not be repaired FOC. I argued until I was blue in the face (and arse, for that matter) and got nowhere. I imagine that the same rule now applies to underground feeds.

Yet further evidence, not that any more was needed, that OFCOM exists to protect the best interests of BT/Openreach and their investors and not those of the consumer.

Jon

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    That was about the speed we used to have. We are up a country lane, off another and some way distant from the exchange.

Fortunately for us we eventually had a BT engineer who really looked for the problem.
    Took a long time and I was helping
    Turns out the 'Master socket' was not.
    Some Heath Robinson work by him got the real master socket going.
    Bingo 12Mb and getting faster.

Next time you have BT in speak to him on the QT and see if he will come in and fix it - with you paying him of course.
    That was the way I was going to go before we had the ace guy in
    You may have tried these things, but I'll say them anyway, just in case.

Good point about the master socket. You need to be plugged into that directly with a short cable, not upstairs in the bedroom socket or on an extender cable.

Tried a different RJ11 (telephone) cable between router and master socket? A bad one will break it. Stupid £2 cable can ruin everything.

Unscrew the front of the master socket and if there is a socket inside there, plug into that. Any better?

Firmware updates on a router can help a bit but not much. Try a different router? Sure you have the correct power supply for the router?

Are there any power cables which are next to the phone cable? Move them away if you can.

Have you got many devices on that one line? Too many will not be good. None except router is best.

Also, if using those homeplug things, try plugging into the router itself. Those homeplugs are pretty dodgy at the best of times.

How are the electrics in your house? That may have an effect - some mains products may be able to iron it out if it is up and down.

Can't think of anything else the moment...
    Last edited by Lerxst; 28-12-2017 at 22:50.

I'm Dave.

Thanks for all the tips but over the past 10 years, we have tried everything and been visited on several occasions by BT engineers. Trouble is, the long run from cabinet to house and BT will not do anything about that.

A couple of people have kindly sent me links or screenshots of the Openreach website where they show that our cabinet has been upgraded. This was done a few months ago and since then we have had slower speeds and even lost Broadband twice for several days. Each time we phone BT we go through the same rigmarole of plugging a cable into the router etc to check the abysmal speed and each time they say it's within acceptable limits at just over 1 Mb.

I have contacted a couple of other providers who confirmed that they wouldn't be able to improve the speed as they would just be using BT equipment, so don't change.

Our MP wasn't the slightest bit interested and what I would like to know is - who can I complain to ?

I'm Jonathan.

I fully sympathise. Living about 3 miles from our 'upgraded' cabinet means that we still had 512kbps over the landline.

We contacted some wireless providers and as they might have been interested they would need several customers to sign up before taking any further steps. They are however starting to make inroads into the more remote areas including businesses that can't get a decent BT service.

We did find however that both EE and Vodafone had upgraded their networks locally and although our phones could not pick up a signal in the house, an external 4g aerial and a SIM based router solved the problem. We get a minimum of 15mbps download and sometimes as high as 45mbps. As an existing EE customer this was easy to test with an existing SIM, although there is a monthly data cap we don't go over.

Kit from Broadbandbuyer.co.uk was easy to set up.

I'm Chris.

Can't answer your question about to whom you should complain but check out satellite broadband. It is not that expensive for a home setup. Europasat offer it but there are other providers. It doesn't use your phone line. Just had a quick look around and you should be able to get 10 mbps or more for about a tenner per month
    Last edited by Lerxst; 29-12-2017 at 21:12. Reason: price check

I'm Grant.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Sounds to me like satellite broadband will be the best solution here, and it is far far far cheaper than it used to be. Bypass line issues altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Grant.

Govt will subsidise your setup by up to 400 pounds if ur under 2 mb

https://www.satelliteinternet.co.uk/new-packages
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

An update.

Earlier this week, we received a card from Openreach to inform us that our green box has been connected by fibre and our internet speed should improve. My Wife has done a lot of phoning around and online chat and we have now signed up for Unlimited BT Infinity, which promises between 19Mbps and 30Mbps. Yippee..

I'm not sure I believe them, so we will wait and see.

I'm Anto.

How far are you from the cabinet Dave?
    We are in the sticks but they put fibre into the cabinet that is maybe 800 yds from our house. Its still on copper wire , but that distance is good for the full Monty whereas the further away you get it starts to drop like a stone due to the resistance in the copper I assume ??
    Hope you are nearby it
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast