+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How lo-fi was your first "hi fi"?

I'm Martin.

Just remembered my Aunty bought the Aiwa midi system off me for £70 as an Xmas pressie for one of my cousins, who was about 5 years younger than me.

Then sold the Tensai to one of my brothers, who ran it for years and years and I got a bin-end Kenwood Linear Tracker from Richer for a hundred quid. Loved that deck and stupidly sold it for fifty quid to mate who couldn't believe his luck. Of course I was skint at the time I but should have just starved for a couple of weeks instead.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Edward.

Whilst at boarding school in early 70s my lowest lofi system consisted of a cheap transistor radio playing Radio Caroline through a mono earphone plug stripped back and playing into a plain speaker someone had going spare. Bliss.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Martin.

I had a mono portable cassette player..... cant remember the timeline if I had cassettes before any vinyl

Van der Molen with BSR deck and built in amp with slide pot controls...around 1975. Started failing quickly and the BSR deck was rickety but I had fun with it

A Sharp GF1704 radio cassette player. I linked the two..... what a system! With the Leds glowing at night I was in business

Then in 1980 I started begging and saving for a Sharp stack sytem matching the SM30 amplifier, Tuner, RT30 cassette deck. RT31 turntable (gutted that the RT30 had been discontinued when I had been saving ) Many of the local TV shops had Sharp catalogues and there was a big Sharp warehouse in Manchester. I bought it bit by bit and the mark ups were horrendous. I think of Sharp as the poor mans JVC, Pioneer or Marantz but it wasnt bad for what it was. It lasted 28 years around the family.

I could have done much better for the price I paid. I even bought the matching rack with glass door and it was well over £400 all in. I got all glossy eyed for the matching silver components. I didnt know anything then and I hadnt even heard of Rega. My world was if dad took me to Comet at the weekend

I got bored of it when I first picked up Hi Fi Answers and saw a whole new world of esoteric components. A glorious world of the LP12 and Regas in a source first system

I soon got the upgrade bug and I had a Rega, Creek & Monitor Audios when Macca was just starting out

The funny thing is the internet allowed me to download good pictures of all my first equipment. There is a nagging feeling that I had my best musical moments with all the stuff in my youth.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 03-01-2018 at 22:46.

I'm sorted.

43 years ago

I'm Geoff.

Circa 1972/1973, I got my first proper Hi-Fi.

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    one of these was my pride and joy at time

Ahh brings back memories
    I got mine for Xmas in the 70's, the first record I recorded on it was Make a Daft Noise for Xmas by the Goodies (I now have a tear in my eye)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Circa 1972/1973, I got my first proper Hi-Fi.

Is that the Neat G30 arm or the A+D arm? What is the cartridge?

Love the 'laboratory chic' of the Ferrograph amp.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Is that the Neat G30 arm or the A+D arm? What is the cartridge?

Love the 'laboratory chic' of the Ferrograph amp.
    Neat arm if I recall. The F307 was troublesome, as was the one supplied as a replacement. Disappointing.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by OD1 View Post
    Ahh brings back memories
    I got mine for Xmas in the 70's, the first record I recorded on it was Make a Daft Noise for Xmas by the Goodies (I now have a tear in my eye)
    Not 'arf !

I had something similar that came as a early 70s Christmas present. I recorded most of the charts at the time & things like " The cat crept in, crapped & crept out again " (maybe not entirely the correct title) would have been played to death.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345