+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Salas Simplistic JFET Phono stage.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Slim.

Quote Originally Posted by disarmamant View Post
    Now reduced to £275 plus postage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi,

I have a Denon 103 cartridge that has a 40ohms impedence I think. Is that covered by the settings with the switches? I have a slight hiss problem and cartridge/phono stage compatibility could be the cause...

Thanks!

I'm Martin.

Default FS: Salas Simplistic JFET Phono stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Hi,

I have a Denon 103 cartridge that has a 40ohms impedence I think. Is that covered by the settings with the switches? I have a slight hiss problem and cartridge/phono stage compatibility could be the cause...

Thanks!
    If your cartridge has an internal impedance of 40 ohms then the load should be approximately ten times that, at around 400 ohms.

In my experience it’s not that critical with most MC cartridges.

The loading in the Salas phono is adjustable with small DIP switches and I’m pretty sure you will find a load the Denon will be happy with.

A hiss problem is not usually anything to do with the load that cartridge is working into. What phono stage are you using at the moment?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Slim.

A hiss problem is not usually anything to do with the load that cartridge is working into. What phono stage are you using at the moment
    I have a Vincent PHO 700. I'm not sure why I can hear the hiss, I read somewhere that the Denon 103 had a difficult load but maybe that's not it...

I'm Martin.

Default FS: Salas Simplistic JFET Phono stage.

I have a Vincent PHO 700. I'm not sure why I can hear the hiss, I read somewhere that the Denon 103 had a difficult load but maybe that's not it...
    I just checked on your phono stage.

As far as I can make out both the MM and the MC stages are an active opamp stage with adjustable gain followed by a valve output using a twin triode ECC82. The valve output stage is most likely just a cathode follower with unity gain.

It’s likely the hiss is a factor of the extra gain in MC mode.

My Salas phono is an MC only stage, but uses discreet Jfet amplification. It has slightly less gain than your Vincent and probably less hiss.

If it was me I’d be looking for a suitable SUT (step up transformer) for the Denon and use the Vincent in MM mode. You will get much less hiss and probably a better sound than using the Vincent in MC mode.

I'm Sandro.

Mine works prety well whit the Goldring Elitte I can't see any problem whit any MC set up
    I can't believe is still there at that price

I'm Slim.

I
    If it was me I’d be looking for a suitable SUT (step up transformer) for the Denon and use the Vincent in MM mode. You will get much less hiss and probably a better sound than using the Vincent in MC mode.

Thanks! That's exactly what I have done but the SUT + MM is not solving the hiss problem. I think it's a mass/compliance compatibility between the arm and cartridge, and I decided to part with the Denon 103...
    It's a shame I already have the Vincent phono stage, I would have bought yours otherwise!

I'm Martin.

Thanks! That's exactly what I have done but the SUT + MM is not solving the hiss problem. I think it's a mass/compliance compatibility between the arm and cartridge, and I decided to part with the Denon 103...
    It's a shame I already have the Vincent phono stage, I would have bought yours otherwise!
    Try shorting the inputs with a shorting plug. If the hiss is still there then it’s nothing to do with the cartridge. However it could be RF interference. Is the turntable or the SUT near a wireless router?

I'm Martin.

Hang on, are you saying the hiss is evident when playing a record, or is it when the stylus is not in the groove?

+ Reply to Thread