+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FS: Salas Simplistic JFET Phono stage.

I'm Geoff.

Ah well. I was going by my ears. I have low and normal ZYX MC's and can't hear much between them.

RothwellAudio Guest

You're right, it doesn't amount to a great deal of difference in practical terms. The phonostage should cope ok.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    You're right, it doesn't amount to a great deal of difference in practical terms. The phonostage should cope ok.
    Agreed, but it depends on the overall gain of what it’s driving. I’m being careful here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

JFET MC phono stage is still here.

It's been a popular phono stage and well regarded on the DIY Audio site with more than one group buy of the PCB's.

I know DIY stuff is often difficult to sell as prospective buyers can be put off because of potential resale value. With that in mind I'm prepared to offer it on a 'sale or return' basis for any AOS/PFM forum regulars who are interested to try it out in their system.

However as its a two box construction, and quite bulky, I'd prefer audition and collection from South Northants or I can meet up / deliver within 50 miles of NN13.

Postage at cost is fine for an outright sale though.

I'm Sandro.

I have built that myself
    It is pretty good for the money and you have used more than decent components, for what you are asking you lucky to break even
    IMO worth a listen ...
    I have not heard the Rothwell head amp But had the great pleasure to ear the signature 1 and signature 2 and those are really good...
    In regard to the gain it may be adjustable a bit mine work fine whit the Goldring Elite I also had built the Older Sallas Simplistic and doubled the input Jfets but still one has the amplifier knob to play whit

It is worth a listen and sale or return ... can't go wrong really

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by disarmamant View Post
    JFET MC phono stage is still here.

It's been a popular phono stage and well regarded on the DIY Audio site with more than one group buy of the PCB's.

I know DIY stuff is often difficult to sell as prospective buyers can be put off because of potential resale value. With that in mind I'm prepared to offer it on a 'sale or return' basis for any AOS/PFM forum regulars who are interested to try it out in their system.

However as its a two box construction, and quite bulky, I'd prefer audition and collection from South Northants or I can meet up / deliver within 50 miles of NN13.

Postage at cost is fine for an outright sale though.
    Some interest in this, but still here.

I'm Martin.

Now reduced to £275 plus postage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Slim.

Now reduced to £275 plus postage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi,

I have a Denon 103 cartridge that has a 40ohms impedence I think. Is that covered by the settings with the switches? I have a slight hiss problem and cartridge/phono stage compatibility could be the cause...

Thanks!

I'm Martin.

Default FS: Salas Simplistic JFET Phono stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Hi,

I have a Denon 103 cartridge that has a 40ohms impedence I think. Is that covered by the settings with the switches? I have a slight hiss problem and cartridge/phono stage compatibility could be the cause...

Thanks!
    If your cartridge has an internal impedance of 40 ohms then the load should be approximately ten times that, at around 400 ohms.

In my experience it’s not that critical with most MC cartridges.

The loading in the Salas phono is adjustable with small DIP switches and I’m pretty sure you will find a load the Denon will be happy with.

A hiss problem is not usually anything to do with the load that cartridge is working into. What phono stage are you using at the moment?

I'm Slim.

A hiss problem is not usually anything to do with the load that cartridge is working into. What phono stage are you using at the moment
    I have a Vincent PHO 700. I'm not sure why I can hear the hiss, I read somewhere that the Denon 103 had a difficult load but maybe that's not it...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast