+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FS: Salas Simplistic JFET Phono stage.

I'm Martin.

Default FS: Salas Simplistic JFET Phono stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I have a Vincent PHO 700. I'm not sure why I can hear the hiss, I read somewhere that the Denon 103 had a difficult load but maybe that's not it...
    I just checked on your phono stage.

As far as I can make out both the MM and the MC stages are an active opamp stage with adjustable gain followed by a valve output using a twin triode ECC82. The valve output stage is most likely just a cathode follower with unity gain.

It’s likely the hiss is a factor of the extra gain in MC mode.

My Salas phono is an MC only stage, but uses discreet Jfet amplification. It has slightly less gain than your Vincent and probably less hiss.

If it was me I’d be looking for a suitable SUT (step up transformer) for the Denon and use the Vincent in MM mode. You will get much less hiss and probably a better sound than using the Vincent in MC mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Sandro.

Mine works prety well whit the Goldring Elitte I can't see any problem whit any MC set up
    I can't believe is still there at that price

I'm Slim.

Quote Originally Posted by disarmamant View Post
    I
    If it was me I’d be looking for a suitable SUT (step up transformer) for the Denon and use the Vincent in MM mode. You will get much less hiss and probably a better sound than using the Vincent in MC mode.

Thanks! That's exactly what I have done but the SUT + MM is not solving the hiss problem. I think it's a mass/compliance compatibility between the arm and cartridge, and I decided to part with the Denon 103...
    It's a shame I already have the Vincent phono stage, I would have bought yours otherwise!

Bigman80 Guest

The Vincent may have a noisy valve. It's highly unlikely hiss is evident from a Mass/compliance issue.

Some phonostages are noisy. I'd try some new valves.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The Vincent may have a noisy valve. It's highly unlikely hiss is evident from a Mass/compliance issue.

Some phonostages are noisy. I'd try some new valves.
    I reckon that could be right. Worth a try.

I'm Martin.

Thanks! That's exactly what I have done but the SUT + MM is not solving the hiss problem. I think it's a mass/compliance compatibility between the arm and cartridge, and I decided to part with the Denon 103...
    It's a shame I already have the Vincent phono stage, I would have bought yours otherwise!
    Try shorting the inputs with a shorting plug. If the hiss is still there then it’s nothing to do with the cartridge. However it could be RF interference. Is the turntable or the SUT near a wireless router?

Bigman80 Guest

Routers and such make various different noises, trust me! I have that issue here.

The hiss is nothing to do with the Cart, arm or Mass/compliance. The hiss is the gain becoming audible, like when you turn the volume up on am amp to max and you hear the hiss.

It'll be the Phonostage. Either noisy valves or just the design of it to make it have enough Gain for MC. My Jolida JD9 did it up until I removed the valves for new ones.

If it's switchable to MM, try that and see if you can hear the same level off hiss. If not, then that's the answer.

I'm Martin.

Hang on, are you saying the hiss is evident when playing a record, or is it when the stylus is not in the groove?

I'm Martin.

Default FS: Salas Simplistic JFET Phono stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    If it's switchable to MM, try that and see if you can hear the same level off hiss. If not, then that's the answer.
    I think the OP has already tried that with a SUT and the hiss is still there.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by disarmamant View Post
    I think the OP has already tried that with a SUT and the hiss is still there.

If there is hiss on MM & MC, and it's of equal volume then gawd knows.

Just realised this is a sales thread

OP should start a thread of his own. Sorry for the drift and GLWS.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast