+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amp advice sought

I'm Neil.

Default Amp advice sought

Hi

I'm hoping someone might be able to advise on the following problem I'm having.

I've recently taken delivery of a Croft 7 power amp and having hooked it up to my Forte Audio Model 2 preamp, I'm finding that I'm having to run the volume on the pre at pretty much close to it's minimum when listening to CDs (using a Cambridge Audio D100) otherwise the output is too loud. The situation in a little better when using my RP3 (running RuneAudio) via a Dragonfly Red but I've always found that to run a little quieter than the CDP. With the CDP and the min on the preamp vol being 7 o clock, I advance to 8 or 8:30 before it's too loud.

I'm enjoying what I'm hearing from the Croft so far but could do with a bit more volume control. Having scoped out the issue on the net, I've identified a few possible solutions and would appreciate some opinions as to whether they might solve the issue or indeed any alternatives:

1. Put a set of in line attenuators between either the CDP and pre or between the pre and power - Reports on the use of these appear to be somewhat mixed.
    2. Change the stock tube in the croft for a lower gain option.
    3. The Forte has a couple of trim pots inside - I could adjust these downwards but am wary of doing so.

Any thoughts appreciated?

I'm Grant.

nice pre.. are you using rca's
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Thanks. RCA are being used on both cd to pre and pre to power sets of ICs

I'm Shaun.

Yes Neil, it is a very common problem with Croft gear and the Croft gear I have also owned. I used 14db attenuators, Golden Jacks type and these improved things quite a lot. Stick with it though, well worth all of the hassle.

I'm Shaun.

Oh yes, I also changed the valve type for lower gain and it just wasn't a big enough drop.

I'm James.

Have you contacted Glenn himself?
    I have always found him to be really friendly and helpful and he will know what to advise.

Cheers,

Jim.

I'm Neil.

Thanks for the suggestions guys

Shaun - where did you place the attenuators and have you noticed any difference in the sound? Interesting about the valve not dropping the gain enough. What type did you try?

Jim - Funnily enough, contacting Glenn was going to be option 4. I haven't contacted him as yet but may well do so as suggested

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbox81 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys

Shaun - where did you place the attenuators and have you noticed any difference in the sound? Interesting about the valve not dropping the gain enough. What type did you try?

Jim - Funnily enough, contacting Glenn was going to be option 4. I haven't contacted him as yet but may well do so as suggested
    Rothwell on this forum, make a very nice range of attenuators suitable for this application and no, you won't hear them.

I'm Geoff.

I've used attenuators in the past. Whilst their effect on the sound is very minor, it is there and I could hear it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ian.

From the tubestore website...

The gain factor of a tube simply measures how much it amplifies the input signal. For example, the common 12AX7 tube has a gain factor of 100, while a 5751 tube (which is often used in place of a 12AX7) has a gain factor of 70. This means that if you plug a 5751 into a socket that expects a 12AX7, the pre-amp will have about 30% less gain.

I use a JAN GE 5751 though not for reasons related to gain, just think it's a fine tube. But as above, GC is your chap to help here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast