+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ortofon 2m Black MM vs Benz Micro Glider S MC

I'm Simon.

Default Ortofon 2m Black MM vs Benz Micro Glider S MC

Let me start by saying i'm happy with my setup, but i'm curious as to how much better / different it could sound by changing the cart to something like the Benz MC. I've never had an MC cart., so what would i gain / lose by doing this?

Current setup

Decware DM945 Speakers
    Ming Da Piccolo Amp
    Vincent Pho-8 Phono
    Kuzma Stabi S with Ortofon 2M Black

I do have the option to stick another arm on my deck, so it could be a way of dipping my toe into the water without fully committing, although potentially an expensive one!

I'm Dave.

I'm not a fan of the 2M black, finding it a bit sterile, so I would prefer the Benz or a Hana or Audio Technica AT-33PTG. Excellent cartridges at sensible prices.

I'm Slav.

As above , if you like what 2MB does I'm not sure if you enjoy Benz , I'd try AT33PTG

I'm Simon.

Hi Dave,

My ears don't find this cart sterile, not with the amount of hours I've put into it anyway! I find it very open and detailed with wide dynamics, but then i have not listened to any of those you suggest. Could you tell me more about them, and why you suggest those in particular?

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by postmanpat View Post
    Hi Dave,

My ears don't find this cart sterile, not with the amount of hours I've put into it anyway! I find it very open and detailed with wide dynamics, but then i have not listened to any of those you suggest. Could you tell me more about them, and why you suggest those in particular?
    My experience too, when set up properly - add holographic as well
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm James.

The 2m black is one of the most live sounding cartridges I have ever heard and as far from sterile as I could imagine.
    The Benz is smoother and far more polite than the 2M. Very different cartridges so not really comparable.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Slav.

I have couple Benz carts , Micro SL and Wood(on loan to my mate at the moment) if you're not far you could come over and have a listen , I also have couple Zyx carts.
    BTW thanks for bump on PFM , Whest got sold yesterday .
    Send me PM if interested , I'm home till Xmas.

I'm Clive.

How alive the 2M Black sounds I feel depends on what you're expecting from it, I expected too much. I got one a while back in the hope it would be close enough to my London Reference that I could use it as a second cartridge but...at first the 2M Black sounded very good, it indeed sounded similar to the London Ref from a quick listen. Over time thought didn't hold my attention; I felt the frequency response was good and made it sound quite lively but deep down it just didn't portray emotion in the same way; something to do with dynamics I suspect. I was hoping the Black would be 90% of my London Reference (current retail £3k); I suppose it achieved that at 90% or maybe 95% but that last 5% to 10% gives so much enjoyment that it was pointless my keeping the 2M Black. Vs other similarly priced cartridges then hif_dave's suggestions will surely be worth considering, any of them including the Black could suit a particular taste.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm jamie.

clive i had the same sought of thing after hearing my decca c4e,i just could go back to the black after that,i also couldn't live with the cadenza black for the same reason.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    I have couple Benz carts , Micro SL and Wood(on loan to my mate at the moment) if you're not far you could come over and have a listen , I also have couple Zyx carts.
    BTW thanks for bump on PFM , Whest got sold yesterday .
    Send me PM if interested , I'm home till Xmas.
    Thanks for the offer buddy. I've just had an offer to try a few from a close friend with those same carts you mention, i didn't realise he had them. At least i get to test in my setup which is good.

I'm happy that got sold, it was a good price. I was half tempted to buy it myself just to compare it to mine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast