+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tube amps

I'm gone.

Hi Rob
    I'm not sure if these converters support high bit rates, personally I'm quite happy with 16 bit CD standard.
    But then I'm probably a deaf old bugger by now.
    The one shown in that ebay listing only supports 16 bits up to 48KHz. Mine is probably the same.

So if you are into more than that I don't think I can help - but my own humble opinion is that there is far more going on here than bit rates etc and that the main thing that matters is the quality of the audio engineering - and the built-in USB converters in a lot of DACs simply aren't very good.

Happy to loan as offered if you are still interested.
    No, it's not for sale, I want it back once you've had a try! I do use it occasionally.

btw - I think once you get to 5 posts you can start using the forum's Private Message system.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Rob. Welcome to AOS.

So you've been using Magnat speakers? That's not a name that pops up very often in the UK. They made some interesting speakers.

There are quite a few of us using valve equipment. A lot of members here do.

Feel free to join in the chat. Everybody is friendly.

Can you bung a location in your profile please. Town or county will do. Thanks.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Location: Dutch now living in Milton Keynes in the United Kingdom

I'm Rob.

Hi geoff,

I am original Dutch Magnat 's are German, I still have the all ribbon 8 speakers, I replaced the capacitors on the crossovers, but I felt it was time for something new, and the q acoustics are very good value for money.
    Last edited by Rob Tube; 18-12-2017 at 11:07. Reason: Error

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Tube View Post
    I am surprised that tube amps are not more popular in hifi.
    Rob I am so with you on this one. Not everyone's choice of course but very definitely mine. I have tried countless tranny amps but always end up back with valves.

Location: Dutch now living in Milton Keynes in the United Kingdom

I'm Rob.

Hi Jerry,

It is just to test with 24 bits 192 kHz, and it is very friendly from you to offer, but I don't think it is beneficial to test with. I am also old, but I did a test with my friend Chris we compared streaming with cd and the streaming sounded better, until we realized we were comparing a 24 bits file with a cd, the file sounded better when we compared a 16 bits file with a cd they were exactly the same. So my ears are not that bad yet.

I'm gone.

No problem, Rob.
    We must all find our own path.

I've compared CD with Spotify Premium and Tidal Hirez and settled on the one I prefer.
    To be honest, I have been totally won over by the huge musical catalogue available from the streaming services, especially Spotify, and that gets priority for me over a tad more here or there in terms of sound quality even if I heard it that way.

As an aside, I'm a bit baffled by Spotify Premium - my DACs always say it is a 24 bit 96KHz datastream, - wth is going on there?

I'm gerald.

Spotify are broadcasting in flax a lot of the time now they say they testing it a lot I've heard is spot on excuse the pun but only for premium users

I'm gone.

Aha

No wonder I have been happy with Spotify Premiun.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Aha

No wonder I have been happy with Spotify Premiun.
    Finally it makes sense! I did think you had lost it mate but wasn't going to say anything
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Default Tube amps

Told u a while ago Spotify were trailing lossless via chrome web player mostly. It was stopped there but might be back on. I am using Deezer's lossless at moment
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12