+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phono Stage Valves

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Well you can't say fairer than that!
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm gerald.

If you can wait a few weeks I could source you some russian military nos valves date stamp on mine are 1971.I have a friend who has a contact in Russia he just had all the valves for my monoblock build .

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylspinner View Post
    Bob,

PM me your address and I will post you a nos Mullard EZ80, have several here left over from my Leak Troughline days.

Nigel
    PM sent.

The helpfulness and generosity of people on this forum continues to amaze me.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Well you can't say fairer than that!
    No, you certainly can't. Helpfulness personified.

Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post
    If you can wait a few weeks I could source you some russian military nos valves date stamp on mine are 1971.I have a friend who has a contact in Russia he just had all the valves for my monoblock build .
    Gerald, that's an interesting thought. As mentioned I have a set of Tesla E88CC's that have been dispatched, due about Thurs / Fri providing postie does his stuff. With the Mullard from Nigel that means 5 of the 8 will have been changed so that should tell me something (even if it's no discernible difference).

If I'm still struggling at this point I'm in for a big re-think.

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp

I'm mick.

Rustling type noises could be down to dirty /tarnished valve bases.Spray each one with non residual contact cleaner , allow to dry and refit valves.Another tip is to gently ease each valve pin inwardly so when refitted they make a tighter connection.This may help with noisy valve bases but probably not with the sound balance.If it does not help at least may be of some use in the future. Cheers Mick. - p.s try removing and refitting each valve half a dozen times or so to clean each base.
    Nothin' I do don't seem to work ,it only seems to make matters worse!. Jagger/Richards

I'm Bob.

Yes, good advice I reckon.

I cleaned each pin on each valve with 1200 grade wet 'n dry (a bit mind numbing) and dipped them in switch cleaner when the original stage was getting noisy but it didn't fix it. That was when I thought these old valves have probably given of their best decided to send it back to Icon. It did come back silent, just not sounding quite as it did before.

Fitting the Teslas and the Mullard from Nigel is going to be a useful and educational experience for me. Just hope it's going to be rewarding too!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

A good trick is to stand the valves in a saucer and fill the saucer with Coca Cola up to the top of the pins. Leave overnight and then remove and clean the pins. Works a treat.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    A good trick is to stand the valves in a saucer and fill the saucer with Coca Cola up to the top of the pins. Leave overnight and then remove and clean the pins. Works a treat.
    I used to use coca cola to take the rust of the blades on my ice skates.

Heaven only knows what its doing to yer tummy but I find diluting it with bourbon or vodka works wonders(maybe not for valves though!)

I'm Bob.

4 Teslas arrived from Langrex this morning - outstanding service - with pins as bright as you could wish for, no visible tarnishing or anything similar but I'll still give 'em a wipe over.

If I can fight my way through the tinsel and fairy lights tonight I could be in for a treat.

But what's it going to be? Hot turkey and roast potatoes or cold sprouts and congealed gravy??

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    I used to use coca cola to take the rust of the blades on my ice skates.

Heaven only knows what its doing to yer tummy but I find diluting it with bourbon or vodka works wonders(maybe not for valves though!)
    Aye I'll second that!

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast