+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Phono Stage Valves

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by indie roehre View Post
    Hi, the question is for me, why did they change all tubes? Preamp valves have a lifetime of up to 5000 hours , some up to 10.000 hrs. Do you still have your "old" tubes? Then you can change one by one, because most probably only one valve was faulty. Russian 6SN7 are only very good if they are made by Foton. Regards. Knut
    Rustling noises and higher background noise. Any service agent would check and likely replace all as a set to be able to guarantee the longevity of their work.
    I'd give your valves at least 50 hours use, to start to break in, before making any judgements on them. Otherwise this could get a bit circular...

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Vintage-used-collector.

^the seller.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Oliver, I can't find any reference that even comes close. Would you have a link by any chance?

I've also looked up the price of the Telefunkens - unless I've missed something obvious.

I reckon I'm close to pushing the button on a set of Teslas. Last night I tried 4 Siemens E88CC's that I bought a while ago and whilst they weren't quite as I remember the Tesla sound it was a smoother, rounder result in comparison to the Electro Harmonix.

I think the Siemens also gave a slightly lower output, having to increase the gain a little for a "like for like" sound level.

I reckon I've answered my own question here - same spec valves from different manufacturers do sound different.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes they do, just a matter of finding which you prefer. As I mentioned earlier, have a look for a NOS EZ80, the rectifier can make a surprising difference to the sound.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Oliver, I can't find any reference that even comes close. Would you have a link by any chance?

I've also looked up the price of the Telefunkens - unless I've missed something obvious.

I reckon I'm close to pushing the button on a set of Teslas. Last night I tried 4 Siemens E88CC's that I bought a while ago and whilst they weren't quite as I remember the Tesla sound it was a smoother, rounder result in comparison to the Electro Harmonix.

I think the Siemens also gave a slightly lower output, having to increase the gain a little for a "like for like" sound level.

I reckon I've answered my own question here - same spec valves from different manufacturers do sound different.
    This is the guy here https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F142490306882

The valves you are looking for are different to mine BUT the seller is a good guy. The E88CC ARE expensive.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by indie roehre View Post
    Hi, the question is for me, why did they change all tubes? Preamp valves have a lifetime of up to 5000 hours , some up to 10.000 hrs. Do you still have your "old" tubes? Then you can change one by one, because most probably only one valve was faulty. Russian 6SN7 are only very good if they are made by Foton. Regards. Knut
    To answer your comment Knut, a little history of this unit may be pertinent. It was originally a review sample that ended up being owned by Rafael Todes, Musician and HiFi critic. Interesting link http://www.iconaudio.com/wp-content/...ruary-2013.pdf

I can support it's having seen a lot of use as the MC input sockets are worn a heck of a lot more than you would normally expect and although the casing is in excellent condition it's not quite mint - but it's what it sounded like that drew me to it. I bought the PS3 from it's second owner who had an immediate but temporary cash flow problem.

Before it's second ownership the unit was checked over by Icon and a couple of valves replaced. The second owner experimented and installed the Tesla valves, being more to his liking - which is how I bought it.

So when the phono amp got progressively more noisy back in August I also sent it back to the manufacturer to have it checked. I had no accurate way of telling how many hours it had on it but in my ownership alone the total would easily have been 5000, perhaps a little more. I was totally beguiled by the sound, quite possibly the biggest breakthrough I'd ever had in listening to recorded music.

When Icon told me all of the valves were shot and wanted replacing I wasn't surprised. Their literature says "It is worth noting that this application is very demanding from the ECC88 valves. Therefore valves that are 100% OK in another application may be noisy / microphonic or hum in the PS3".

They offered the old valves back to me but I said "no, just chuck 'em". Not a very bright thing to do in hindsight but as I'd never heard this stage in it's standard, untweaked version I was keen to do so and anticipated a good result. Again, flawed thinking on my part. It was obviously the tweaked version that had my interest.

I'll also add that I've never had anything but exemplary, excellent service and advice from Icon Audio and certainly have no complaint or desire to impugn their reputation. I asked for their help and proceeded from there. What I now need to do is get it back to how it was when I bought it - learning a lot along the way.

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Yes they do, just a matter of finding which you prefer. As I mentioned earlier, have a look for a NOS EZ80, the rectifier can make a surprising difference to the sound.
    Thanks for that. I've just ordered a set of Tesla E88CC's. Do you have a manufacturer in mind for a replacement EZ80 if I feel I need to go that route.........?

Problem is I have no idea if the one just installed is from a top end supplier or just merely adequate.............

I'm James.

There is no shortage of these rectifiers and in all probability wherever you go will be fine NOS of these last for yonks, even used they will probably be pretty much the same. Re E88CC and variants IMHO the only major criterion is does it have a bathtub anode and frame grid or not. If it does it should do the job just fine. Tesla, Mullard/Siemens & Halske, and Telefunken AFAIK all do, others vary. Sonic signature of this particular constructional type are likely to be very similar.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Thanks for that. I've just ordered a set of Tesla E88CC's. Do you have a manufacturer in mind for a replacement EZ80 if I feel I need to go that route.........?

Problem is I have no idea if the one just installed is from a top end supplier or just merely adequate.............
    Here's a nice Siemens one, but there's lots of choice, Langrex have some Mullard on there too-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EZ80-SIEM...UAAOSwCkZZQe-Y

Good thing with EZ80 is that they are plentiful and cheap, even for high quality NOS. Think you mentioned they'd fitted an EI? A good NOS should outperform that handily I'd say.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I'd probably buy this one though LOL-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EZ80-NOS-...4AAOSwPfVZjgHp

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Nigel.

Bob,

PM me your address and I will post you a nos Mullard EZ80, have several here left over from my Leak Troughline days.

Nigel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast