+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Phono Stage Valves

I'm Bob.

Default Phono Stage Valves

My Icon Audio PS3 phono has recently been back to the manufacturer for a check / service as it was getting a bit noisy. After checking it over they informed me that all of the valves had come to the end of their useful life (no big surprise), so all 8 were replaced.

They are now:-

4 X Electro Harmonix 6922/E88CC
    1 X Russian 6SN7/6H8C
    1 X Ei EZ80
    1 X JAN 5687
    1 X Electro Harmonix E88CC

The unit was bought used by me 4 years ago and in discussion with Icon it transpired that some substitutions away from OEM had been made along the way. I knew that the previous owner had replaced the original JJ ECC88’s by Tesla’s which in his words “made a nice improvement” and the 6SN7 was a Philco offering.

The revalved stage is now working quietly, no hums pops or crackles and devoid of background noise. Except the SQ doesn’t sound quite the same.

Soundstage is still massive but the creamy, palpable bass isn’t quite there any longer – and I miss it dearly!

So the question is can the same valve, but sourced from a different manufacturer, have a big impact on sound quality. And if I change the E88CC’s back to NOS Tesla’s am I likely to get my old level of sound quality back?
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm paul.

I never liked the Russian 6H8C, my favourite was Sophia electric premium 6SN7.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    My Icon Audio PS3 phono has recently been back to the manufacturer for a check / service as it was getting a bit noisy. After checking it over they informed me that all of the valves had come to the end of their useful life (no big surprise), so all 8 were replaced.

They are now:-

4 X Electro Harmonix 6922/E88CC
    1 X Russian 6SN7/6H8C
    1 X Ei EZ80
    1 X JAN 5687
    1 X Electro Harmonix E88CC

The unit was bought used by me 4 years ago and in discussion with Icon it transpired that some substitutions away from OEM had been made along the way. I knew that the previous owner had replaced the original JJ ECC88’s by Tesla’s which in his words “made a nice improvement” and the 6SN7 was a Philco offering.

The revalved stage is now working quietly, no hums pops or crackles and devoid of background noise. Except the SQ doesn’t sound quite the same.

Soundstage is still massive but the creamy, palpable bass isn’t quite there any longer – and I miss it dearly!

So the question is can the same valve, but sourced from a different manufacturer, have a big impact on sound quality. And if I change the E88CC’s back to NOS Tesla’s am I likely to get my old level of sound quality back?
    After doing some tube rolling, I noticed that there were quite large differences in sound quality, background noise and overall resolution when I tried different brands. I have rolled various brands of PC88 PCC88 ECC83 and decided I preferred the clean sounding Telefunkens where possible. The Tesla I have in my Wizard phonostage are nearly as good. Best thing is to try as many types as you can and see what you prefer. Telefunken or Tesla are never going to steer you wrong IME.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    I never liked the Russian 6H8C, my favourite was Sophia electric premium 6SN7.
    Paul, are you able to quantify the sonic differences?

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    ........preferred the clean sounding Telefunkens where possible. The Tesla I have in my Wizard phonostage are nearly as good. Best thing is to try as many types as you can and see what you prefer. Telefunken or Tesla are never going to steer you wrong IME.

Thanks Oliver. Where did the Tesla's not quite make it to the level of the Telefunken's?

If I'm going to make a change I can go with anything that's available, but even with just doing the 4 X E88CC's in the preamp I'm in for around £60 - £70 so want to do it right.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Try changing the rectifier for something NOS.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm paul.

No sorry Bob, my memory is such that I had to search to find the Sophia's as I couldn't remember the name
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Thanks Oliver. Where did the Tesla's not quite make it to the level of the Telefunken's?

If I'm going to make a change I can go with anything that's available, but even with just doing the 4 X E88CC's in the preamp I'm in for around £60 - £70 so want to do it right.
    In my system, the Telsas can't match the level of transparency the Telefunkens bring. The Tesla are close, very close but seem to have a slightly different presentation in the midband. Slightly more, maybe just a smidgen and In some cases I prefer the Tesla BUT its horses, as they say. The Telefunken are very clean and crisp sounding. It's personal choice rather than "better". Try and get a listen to what you shortlist. There are guys and girls with a few valves knocking about. Also a good seller on eBay in France who does good NOS valves at very reasonable prices. He likes an offer too and will negotiate

Bigman80 Guest

Vintage-used-collector.

^the seller.

I'm Knut.

Hi, the question is for me, why did they change all tubes? Preamp valves have a lifetime of up to 5000 hours , some up to 10.000 hrs. Do you still have your "old" tubes? Then you can change one by one, because most probably only one valve was faulty. Russian 6SN7 are only very good if they are made by Foton. Regards. Knut
    Knut.

Acoustic Signature Thunder & Final Tool, Technics SP15, Ampearl RE1030 Valve Phono, Ampearl Valve phono LCR RE2030, Ampearl RE1031, Tribute SUT, Aidas MC, Linn Akiva, DS Audio E1, Nagra VPS
    Legat Audio SETA E130L SE, Legat KT88 SE , K&T Donar, JE Labs Open baffle with Philips 12202, BK elec SUBs P12 & XXls400

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast