+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: the speaker quest/dream

I'm paul.

hi andrew
    off the top of my head you may struggle to find a 15" driver that will fit your needs(at a good price to performance ratio),most with a decent freq bandwidth that goes up to meet another driver usually need a ported enclosure,even then i doubt the low end response will be that low within a half sensible enclosure volume(i thought of building something like this,a diy version would certainly work out a lot cheaperhttps://positive-feedback.com/review...-loudspeakers/ ).
    of course i havent looked at every driver out there,just a few when i was researching for some ideas,as for a 200litre cabinet...
    feel free to stick up your ideas and plans here if you like,always interested in that kind of stuff...probably why im so slow at building anything,to busy reading about it
    im of the same view as you regarding transmission line bass quality,i do like a nice transient response that a sealed enclosure brings to the party,hence my desire for a sealed design,although it has to be said that a well designed ported design can be no slouch these days.
    also like you i would love some of those mega expensive jbls...if only

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smithie View Post
    andrew
    ive taken note of what you have pointed out.
    regarding building something else...i would if there was something that fitted my criteria,alas i haven't found nothing else yet,and ive been searching for quite awhile.
    No large 3 way kits???
    Ok, I haven't really looked much myself and it's your criteria that count, not mine, anyway, but how about something from this guy?
    http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Lou...r_Projects.htm
    He seems well-respected and appears to know what he's doing and he has 10 designs in the large 3-way category. Anything there for you?

I'm Geoff.

I have to admit. I don't seem to get on with big three way or more speakers. They can sound OK, but somehow just don't do it for me. I've heard literally hundreds and when I get home and bung the Tannoys on, I sigh with satisfaction and relax . Oh, and they do scale and bass just fine!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    No large 3 way kits???
    Ok, I haven't really looked much myself and it's your criteria that count, not mine, anyway, but how about something from this guy?
    http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Lou...r_Projects.htm
    He seems well-respected and appears to know what he's doing and he has 10 designs in the large 3-way category. Anything there for you?
    hi andrew
    thanks for the link,spent alot of time reading about that guys work and findings,along with his kits and builds.
    and believe it or not theres nothing there that fits what im after,the big 3ways are either ported,use mega expensive drive units or the cabinet construction is way beyond my ability and tools,or all three
    he certainly is very skilled and talented,as where im not,he certainly has some great design speakers i would love to hear and play with,and i dare say there's plenty there i would fall in love with if i could audition them,but thats the rub...i cant
    so your right,there is plenty of 3ways kits,but a 3way using a 12" driver in a sealed enclosure, which is what im after...not so much

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by smithie View Post
    hi andrew
    off the top of my head you may struggle to find a 15" driver that will fit your needs(at a good price to performance ratio),most with a decent freq bandwidth that goes up to meet another driver usually need a ported enclosure,even then i doubt the low end response will be that low within a half sensible enclosure volume(i thought of building something like this,a diy version would certainly work out a lot cheaperhttps://positive-feedback.com/review...-loudspeakers/ ).
    of course i havent looked at every driver out there,just a few when i was researching for some ideas,as for a 200litre cabinet...
    feel free to stick up your ideas and plans here if you like,always interested in that kind of stuff...probably why im so slow at building anything,to busy reading about it
    im of the same view as you regarding transmission line bass quality,i do like a nice transient response that a sealed enclosure brings to the party,hence my desire for a sealed design,although it has to be said that a well designed ported design can be no slouch these days.
    also like you i would love some of those mega expensive jbls...if only
    I'm happy to pay a premium for the bass drivers if I have to, also happy to port the cab if I can't find a fifteen that will work in a sealed box. The idea that all ported speakers are flawed is something that you only hear the inexperienced saying. Most big Tannoys have some sort of vent in the enclosure, no-one complains about them.

200 litres is ballpark, but if you want that bass presence then the cab has to be in that arena. The good Tannoys all have big enclosures, that's not a coincidence.
    Last edited by Macca; 18-12-2017 at 17:43.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Eddingdales will shift serious air down to 30-odd Hz.
    They do and I came close to buying some on a couple of occasions. A seriously capable speaker and good all-round with no apparent weaknesses, but they just don't have the bass presence of a big Tannoy or JBL.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I have to admit. I don't seem to get on with big three way or more speakers. They can sound OK, but somehow just don't do it for me. I've heard literally hundreds and when I get home and bung the Tannoys on, I sigh with satisfaction and relax . Oh, and they do scale and bass just fine!
    geoff i would be very happy with some big 12 or 15" tannoys in a modern enclosure and tweaked to my taste,i love tannoy,its just there so expensive that i can only dream of them along with the jbls mentioned earlier.
    buying decent big second hand true tannoy drivers is just as expensive....so whats a guy to do.
    im not saying a 3 way is gonna be the be all and end all for me,in fact i might think they suck,and could work out a costly mistake and waste of time and effort,thing is im just not going to know until i hear it for my self in my system...then ill know for sure...maybe

of course if anyone has some cheap 15" dc tannoy drivers going dirt cheap,then feel free to get in touch

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The idea that all ported speakers are flawed is something that you only hear the inexperienced saying.
    True. Some of the best deep and well defined bass I've heard has been from big Altecs with ports. Lovely!

Actually, the old KEF Concerto gets satisfyingly solid bass from its B139 driver in a ported box.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Need Blue Peter to do a make your own Tannoy drivers segment. Cut the cones out of a cereal box, make the pepper-pot horns from...old pepper-pots. Bit of double-sided sticky tape, and your golden.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Need Blue Peter to do a make your own Tannoy drivers segment. Cut the cones out of a cereal box, make the pepper-pot horns from...old pepper-pots. Bit of double-sided sticky tape, and your golden.
    lol: then another segment covering....lets build a tannoy xover ,then a final segment in the blue peter tannoy series....lets build the idea tannoy enclosure
    now if only...that would make a tv licence worth the money...almost!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast