+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: the speaker quest/dream

I'm paul.

hi geoff
    spoken to ivor at ipl many a time.
    unfortunately transmission line will not work in my size/shape room,plus the only 3way he does is the s5 transmission line,ive got no hope in hell making that work in this room
    but i appreciate the heads up,you reminded me of the good old days playing with tdls back in the day

I'm Geoff.

Why does it need to be three way Paul?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm paul.

because its on my bucket list geoff
    35 years odd ive been in this game and it dawned on me that ive never built or owned a true 3 way speaker,so i got to thinking...before i peg it i best sort that situation out
    if i look at just 2way kits then none come with a big displacement driver that will give me the scale and weight/inpact im after.
    i know i could add a sub to said 2way,ive been there and done that many a time...just doesnt work for me.
    am i a tricky customer or what

I'm Geoff.

Here's a two way that would do the job. You'll be skint for a year after buying them though.

Altec Model 19.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm paul.

there great geoff....ill take them,do they come with the trolleys included?....think im gonna need a bigger sitting room
    it really is a shame that for the most part people desire slim small driver speakers,i know its the fashion and need,but some lovely big nicely designed corner speakers(kits) with manly drivers at a sensible price would suit me down to a tee, belive me when i say ive looked for them

I'm paul.

and just to add...im always skint,so being skint for another year to have those speakers sounds good to me

RothwellAudio Guest

Those kits don't look cheap or look like their design has been cobbled together. My guess is that they'll be affected too severely by a cabinet change to ignore, and it would be a shame to lose the performance that the designer has worked so hard to achieve.
    I'd say either make them as designed or make something else.

I'm paul.

andrew
    ive taken note of what you have pointed out.
    regarding building something else...i would if there was something that fitted my criteria,alas i haven't found nothing else yet,and ive been searching for quite awhile.
    im gonna try to get in touch with the designer if i can,this is a old design and he may have no interest responding to my half baked questions,but i shall see if i can get a response and some answers to my questions and ideas,if i get no response then i may have to ponder on it all a bit more,over a nice bottle of wine of course until the light bulb above my head lights up!!

I'm Martin.

I've also looked for something similar with no joy, unless you count some £10K JBLs. Which I don't since I don't have £10K spare.

it seems no-one makes a speaker, either made up or with a kit, that has some serious bass presence anymore, at least at the affordable end of the market. Transmission lines have the presence but lack the definition ime.

I'm looking at knocking up a cheap clone of the JBL 4365 using an affordable 15 inch driver run most of the way up and a BMR driver for the mid/top since suitable compression drivers are too expensive. Obviously in a large, sealed cab to optimise the bass performance.

I've hopefully got someone lined up to do the woodworking as I'm far too cack handed. Crossover will probably be digital. I reckon that could be done for under two grand, less if you can build the cabs yourself.

Okay so it isn't a 3 way but then it doesn't need to be. You could always add a supertweeter above the BMR to make it into one.

That should give you slowly rolled off bass down to 20 hz and no lack of presence or slam from the fifteen. Should in theory be better in the bass than the kit you linked to. Cabs will be big though, around 200 litre. But you could make them look any way you wanted.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Eddingdales will shift serious air down to 30-odd Hz.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast