+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: the speaker quest/dream

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by smithie View Post
    geoff,make it a new years resolution (and one your not going to break)
    there's just so many to choose from out there,anything out there pulling at your strings?
    I don't need to look "out there". I've various pairs of good full range drivers needing cabinets (horns maybe?). A pair of 10" Tannoy dual concentrics waiting for use. Boxes of other interesting drivers and a huge selection of crossover parts.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I don't need to look "out there". I've various pairs of good full range drivers needing cabinets (horns maybe?). A pair of 10" Tannoy dual concentrics waiting for use. Boxes of other interesting drivers and a huge selection of crossover parts.
    ah,you take me back to my heyday when my household was filled like that...i would always be going out to the shed/garden or where ever to knock up some design or try some theory out that i had read about or when a idea that had popped into my head
    looking back they were the best of times for me on the hifi front,then i downsized the mansion and got a bit tired of my half baked and half finished carkeress and projects which didn't just consists of speakers it included amplifiers,cables,cd player,in fact any and everything hifi,nothing was safe from my hands or ideas...or my power tools and soldering iron!!.
    then one day i sold it all,i had a desire to have a "nice normal decent looking and sounding hifi system" so i invested alot into bryston amplifiers and preamps(so love there stuff),some nice maggie speakers(love there stuff too) along with a few interesting front ends etc.......of course,needless to say thats not how the story ends
    anyway,after that long spill geoff i just want to say i envy you and all those great hifi bits and bobs you have,and "YES" get building and put that stuff to use...it don't get sweeter(or dustier) then that imho
    i was always partial to ted jordans jx full rangers,made some great sounding speakers with those,ted was also a nice friendly helpful guy,not to mention a master in his field imo,dearly missed bless him.
    so?have you started building yet?

I'm Dennis.

I have great ambivalence over this, being pulled between the extremes of 'Just maybe this will be a breakthrough', and 'Oh I cannot stand this mess in my lounge for another month'.

The results are not always worth the pain and discomfort - I do not have a workshop - with scattered tools, wood, EPDM sheet, drivers, coils and wire etc., and the general mess.

Visitors think I am mad doing it, and as the years go by, with a slight loss of dexterity and lacking a really good measurement facility, I have to wonder if I can really compete with professionals with all of their resources.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I have great ambivalence over this, being pulled between the extremes of 'Just maybe this will be a breakthrough', and 'Oh I cannot stand this mess in my lounge for another month'.

The results are not always worth the pain and discomfort - I do not have a workshop - with scattered tools, wood, EPDM sheet, drivers, coils and wire etc., and the general mess.

Visitors think I am mad doing it, and as the years go by, with a slight loss of dexterity and lacking a really good measurement facility, I have to wonder if I can really compete with professionals with all of their resources.
    i so hear what your saying dennis,and totally agree,but you left out the major plus on a good day....."ITS SO MUCH FUN"
    regarding visitors,they stopped visiting along time ago....this hifi journey can sure be a lonely road at times

I'm paul.

ok...no sniggering please
    and none of this is to scale or anything as clever as that,i just thought i would fire a quick picture up of what im planning regarding my build.
    so here it is,nothing set in stone,just a rough plan,so feel free to shot it down,add input,point out errors,poke fun,say it sucks or what ever...better to sort that all out now before i actually try to build it....let open season begin
    Attached Images Attached Images

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    EPDM? I had to look that up
    ethylene propylene diene monomer

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smithie View Post
    so here it is,nothing set in stone,just a rough plan,so feel free to shot it down,add input,point out errors,poke fun,say it sucks or what ever...
    I have a concern over the cavity in the base being coupled to the main enclosure. I could be wrong but it looks like two resonant cavities with a coupling "port" between them. Not sure if that's the case and it would create problems or if the two volumes of air would simply combine as if they were one large volume of air. I don't know enough to be certain but it might be a potential problem.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I have a concern over the cavity in the base being coupled to the main enclosure. I could be wrong but it looks like two resonant cavities with a coupling "port" between them. Not sure if that's the case and it would create problems or if the two volumes of air would simply combine as if they were one large volume of air. I don't know enough to be certain but it might be a potential problem.
    hi andrew
    thanks for pointing out your concerns and thoughts....its what im after...plenty of input
    im not that skilled or wise either,i was hoping it would act as a combined space to make the volume up,i assumed that by looking at the original design drawings where he uses the same arrangement of sorts via a internal brace in the lower section that ive cut in mine.
    ill have to have some more read ups but i appreciate your input.

I'm paul.

for quick reference and keeping it all in easy viewing...
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789