+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: the speaker quest/dream

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Adding stuffing lowers Qtc and Is good for reducing the bass hump you get with a box that's too small for the driver. A bigger box will have a lower Qtc...
    I'm confused. Qtc is lowered in both instances. Doesn't that suggest that adding stuffing is doing the same thing as increasing cabinet volume?

I'm Dennis.

Has the same effect Andrew, though achieved differently.

I suggest Matt, that computer modelling has similar deficiencies to those outlined on one guy's bottom line on Tesla; numerous software designed solutions and analyses, many of which bear little or no relation to reality.

You could of course write to the various academics and correct their misconceptions, I'm sure they would be grateful.

I'm Martin.

When I added stuffing to my 2 way infinite baffle speakers the only effect was to degrade sound quality quite noticeably. I was unable to perceive any benefits whatsoever. I used the highly recommended (at the time) long haired sheep wool, piled in the base and more of it suspended in a 'basket' made of garden netting. Still have a box of it somewhere.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I'm confused. Qtc is lowered in both instances. Doesn't that suggest that adding stuffing is doing the same thing as increasing cabinet volume?
    Increasing cabinet volume will give you more low frequency extension. Stuffing reduces the Impedance peak at resonance and lowers efficiency at the lowest frequencies. There's no free lunch.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Has the same effect Andrew, though achieved differently.

I suggest Matt, that computer modelling has similar deficiencies to those outlined on one guy's bottom line on Tesla; numerous software designed solutions and analyses, many of which bear little or no relation to reality.

You could of course write to the various academics and correct their misconceptions, I'm sure they would be grateful.
    The computer modelling has been backed up by real measurements. You just need to search to find It.

I don't think there would be any point writing to anyone because all this stuff Is common knowledge now.

I'm Martin.

I. Stuffing reduces the Impedance peak at resonance and lowers efficiency at the lowest frequencies. There's no free lunch.
    Is that good or bad? It sounds like it should be a good thing.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    When I added stuffing to my 2 way infinite baffle speakers the only effect was to degrade sound quality quite noticeably. I was unable to perceive any benefits whatsoever. I used the highly recommended (at the time) long haired sheep wool, piled in the base and more of it suspended in a 'basket' made of garden netting. Still have a box of it somewhere.
    If the frequency response was flat before stuffing, then as I said above, adding stuffing can reduce the low frequencies. It can also change the frequency response higher up In the frequency range but all this depends on the type of stuffing, how much and where It was placed In the cabinet.

I'm matt.

Is that good or bad? It sounds like it should be a good thing.
    Reducing the Impedance peak Isn't a bad thing but obviously losing efficiency could be considered bad.

I'm Martin.

Reducing the Impedance peak Isn't a bad thing but obviously losing efficiency could be considered bad.
    Yep I got that was bad thing.

What design would you recommend for both deep bass and high efficiency (94db or over)?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

What design would you recommend for both deep bass and high efficiency (94db or over)?
    Not many domestically acceptable size speakers that can do that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast