+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: the speaker quest/dream

I'm Martin.

Assuming 'domestically acceptable' isn't an issue...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Tannoy System 15 DMT.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yep I got that was bad thing.

What design would you recommend for both deep bass and high efficiency (94db or over)?
    the ones im looking at building here with a twist

"The reduced baffle step compensation option brings the midrange and tweeter level up quite a bit, running them full blast without padding resistors. If you need to do this you can, however your amplifier better have some high current capability because the impedance gets quite low in this case. This can barely be considered a baffle step adjustment, given the type of system. It's more of a tonal balance adjustment. The system is 94 dB sensitive at 2.83 volts in this configuration."

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What design would you recommend for both deep bass and high efficiency (94db or over)?
    I've used the SB15NRX with excellent results before, and Zaph Is a well respected designer, so I'd take a gamble on his big 12" 3-way design.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    I've used the SB15NRX with excellent results before, and Zaph Is a well respected designer, so I'd take a gamble on his big 12" 3-way design.
    good to hear...as i certainly shall be
    10 day wait on the tweeters from falcon acoustics,they have the other drivers in stock..or so they say
    ill probably crack on getting the wood and building the cabinets first,that could take me a while,and i better wait till after christmas just to keep the peace and goodwill,and to make sure the turkey isn't basted in mdf dust
    that gives me time to do a bit better sketching and calculating for the slight tweaks i have in mind

I'm Dennis.

Much 'common knowledge' is just plain wrong, because it is passed around as hearsay rather then as a result of direct disciplined study and research.

I'm Geoff.

I do like a good speaker build. Time I did one too. Done a couple of restorations in the last few years, but that's much easier.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I do like a good speaker build. Time I did one too. Done a couple of restorations in the last few years, but that's much easier.
    I finished the crossovers for my third pair about a month or so ago and I'm already looking at drivers for my next build. The unfortunate part about It Is I'm going to have to remove the drivers from one pair and skip the enclosures because we don't have room for three pairs of speakers.

I'm paul.

i usually curse and swear and probably a whole heap of other things to when i build some,but deep down and after the event i always think and remember "that build" with fond memories and in the great fun enjoyable category,more so if they actually sound half decent and i like them
    geoff,make it a new years resolution (and one your not going to break)
    there's just so many to choose from out there,anything out there pulling at your strings?

I'm paul.

here you go geoff...keep you busy
    http://www.eraudio.com.au/DIY_Speake...aker_kits.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by smithie; 22-12-2017 at 01:05.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast