+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the speaker quest/dream

I'm paul.

Default the speaker quest/dream

hi everyone
    ive seriously been thinking of building these speakers in the new year..
    http://www.zaphaudio.com/SB12.3/

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...e-3-way/#tab-3.
    i dont know if anyone has built any,if so it would be nice to hear some input on them,more so if anyone has actually heard a pair.
    any way i think we can mostly agree there not to pretty to look at which eventually brings me to the crux of this post.
    im thinking of building them in the vein of some atc style speakers....please see my walt disney quick sketches below compared to the original offerings..
    now my questions are to the people that know about such things are..
    1)by doing away with the original lower front part of the baffle under the 12 inch driver (around 7.5 inches) will i be screwing up the baffle step/cross over function compared to how the original was made to function?
    2)if im lucky enough to get away with xover problems from question one then will the original width front baffle that i have showing in my mickey mouse sketches protruding by about 2 inches be enough not to effect the original xover function where ive had to make the enclosure bigger behind it to make up the lost volume(in case you havent noticed...i really dont want to get into sorting out or changing the designers xover and hard work)
    any help/views or advice is as always appricated.
    regards
    paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm paul.

no one got any ideas or answers to my questions??
    please,pretty please...please dont force me to post these questions on diyaudio.com,it gets nasty on there half the time

I'm Geoff.

Why do you want to build this particular speaker?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm paul.

hi geoff
    mainly for presence and scale,music you feel that only tends to come with some big displacement.
    im using tannoy 6xtf at the moment,and there great,and probably idea size for my room but....instruments don't carry the weight or scale to my ears,this isn't nothing to do with having mega low bass or anything like that,its about adding weight and scale above anything else...hope that makes sense,this late at night im known to speak gibberish,actually i do that at anytime of the day or night

I'm paul.

plus ive always fancied owning a proper 3way speaker,its been on my bucket list for awhile now

I'm Martin.

I don't understand why you don't want to follow the cabinet design exactly. Your design moves the woofer closer to the floor, that will change the balance of the sound in the bass.

If it were me I'd follow the design exactly, I don't see any advantage in not doing that, and you could get into all sorts of difficulties and waste a fair bit of money.

They look like they would be pretty good. If you build them and they work you can knock me up a pair?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I don't understand why you don't want to follow the cabinet design exactly. Your design moves the woofer closer to the floor, that will change the balance of the sound in the bass.

If it were me I'd follow the design exactly, I don't see any advantage in not doing that, and you could get into all sorts of difficulties and waste a fair bit of money.

They look like they would be pretty good. If you build them and they work you can knock me up a pair?
    hi martin
    my micky mouse sketches are not to scale or size,just a rough outlook of the overall design i have in mind
    the drivers will all be in the same position as the original designers plan,including the 12" driver in relation to the floor (the base and speaker cabinet support base with be 7.5" to compensate for the amount taken out from the original concept)
    regarding "advantage" by changing to my design....there is none
    ,im just not into the whole 2001 monolith look of the original design and wanted to adapt it to something i on a personal level find more appealing and interesting and to my tastes....more so as i would be staring at them every day and night

regards
    paul

I'm Andrew.

I'm sure I'm not the only person to read this and think maybe you could look for a design you don't need to adjust to suit.

I'm paul.

believe me andrew....ive looked.
    not many 3way 12 driver kits out there....wide baffle boxy speakers are just not the done things these days.
    theres obviously afew atc 50/100 clones out there that are ideal,alas they are nearly double the price to build....but im forever looking,it is a quest/dream after all

I'm Geoff.

An alternative to big bass drivers is a transmission line type speaker. They offer the kind of deep potent bass you may like.

Have you looked at the IPL site? They offer several self assembly kits. http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast