+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solder

I'm Philip.

Default Solder

Hi,

I have never soldered before, but i may change the speaker terminal on some old speakers and terminate so e speaker cables.

What sort of solder do inneed?

Anyone have a link to an ebay or other advery that shows what inneed please?

I’m not talking Audio Note hifi here, just something respectable.

Thanks for any help.

I'm Alan.

Go for 60/40 multicore for your first foray into soldering. (60% tin, 40% lead)
    The multicore refers to the resin flux that is incorporated to 'clean' the joint and allows the solder to flow properly. 1.2mm or 1.6mm thickness suits most jobs.

Don't try lead free solder... just do not breathe in the fumes.
    A reputable brand like 'Multicore' or 'Savbit' is a good idea too. Like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MULTICORE...quodx7XS2D7D0g

I'm Rob.

I use a lot of solder and the last lot I bought from here (see link) 60% tin is what I use.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solder-Wi...item20eda62a06
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm paul.

i love this stuff,pleasure to use
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cardas-Qua...item25a6a2c5ec
    regards
    paul
    Last edited by smithie; 16-12-2017 at 18:23.

Bigman80 Guest

63/37 is used in aviation. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Don't believe the hype!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Philip.

Thanks for the replies.
    That definitely helps.

I'm Bob.

Regardless of solder used, I would recommend some practice before you start on anything expensive, maybe a bit of tinning on copper cable and then a bit of real soldering to join two pieces, then when you are confident you can let yourself loose on your kit.

You can get flux and solder or you can get fluxless (The flux is in the solder) and you need the flux to help the mettles stick together.

I can solder, but don't do it often enough to be confident so always have a little practice to get myself back into it, when you see someone who does it all day for a living you wonder why it's so difficult for you to do.

I'm Andrew.

All sound advice. If you get stuck Phil or just want a hand I'm only in Peterborough.

I'm Alex.

Some speaker cable may be very thick and need more heat than a small wattage iron basic iron can supply.

Basically two types of iron, simple ones just have an element and tip, no control of the iron temperature.Tip reaches a max temp limited by the element wattage.

The other type has temperature control which can be by several different means. With this type, if temperature of tip goes down whilst soldering say a large connector, the control system senses this, and more power is called for automatically. This allows a physically small iron to solder quite large items.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

When I worked for an electronics company, a foreman there was a bit of a bully. If someone did not agree with him 100% he would give them work doing test solder joints, a boring repetitive job. The Manager supported this. One day Sally had been given this job, the manager walked by and said to her "solder on", her immediate reply was "FLUX OFF"
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast