+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Modding my Lehmann Black Cube Phono (advice needed)

I'm Steven.

Arrow Modding my Lehmann Black Cube Phono (advice needed)

So I just received my second hand Black Cube Phono (06 edition) and although it sounds great, I would love to mod it a bit and make it sound even better...

I've read quite a bit on the whole opamp rolling thing on internet, but most of those posts are older or not relevant to this phono stage. I'm sure there are a few experts here that can help me out...

So we're talking about a THAT 1510 Preamplifier and a Texas Instruments OPA134PA Audio Amplifier. The main thing is to replace the opamp, but if there's a good reason to replace the preamp, I'm fine with that. I've got a few 8 Pin DIP sockets coming in.

I also got two OPA2107AP's coming in, but can I up it even more? Like say two Burson V5's or better?

Last edited by Funnyx; 15-12-2017 at 08:02. Reason: Image not working

I'm Rob.

Having done a lot of op-amp swapping years ago in various bits of kit, you can change the sound by using a different op-amp, but whether or not it is better or just different is a suck it and see thing. You need to be aware that some pcb's are pretty flaky and removing small components especially those with multiple legs can result in the through holes (especially if the board is double sided) coming detached or that you may damage some of the tracks. I have found that it is bet to cut all the legs and then remove the individual legs one by one with a heated solder sucker iron. Even then some of the holes may not clear completely. If you cut the legs it means that you cannot re-use the original op-amp.

Years ago the OPA134 (and 2134 dual op-amp) were pretty well regarded. Some would probably say that you should get details of the electrical properties of the 134 and match any new op-amps so that the designers original intentions are not compromised. I fitted some Burson op-amps to a modded Marantz CD player which did not IMO make that much of a difference, but having done that sort of thing for too long I may be a little cynical, mind you the Bursons were free
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

Bigman80 Guest

Fit some sockets to the board and roll untill your heart's content.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Steven.

Of course, when getting the current chips out, I'll get DIP sockets in, so it will be easier to swap things...

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    You need to be aware that some pcb's are pretty flaky and removing small components especially those with multiple legs can result in the through holes (especially if the board is double sided) coming detached or that you may damage some of the tracks.
    Absolutely true. That board looks like it isn't just double-sided, it's "plated through hole" - which means that clean removal of an 8-pin package could be very tricky.

Personally, I'm sceptical of "op-amp rolling". I may be less sceptical if its advocates called it "op-amp swapping". How the hell do you roll an op-amp? They're not even round!

I'm Geoff.

The only things I roll are cigarettes. If want to know how different components sound, I do comparisons. 'Rolling' belongs on the other side of the Atlantic.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Paul.

The PCB does look like one of those where the tracks come away easily with just the smallest bit of soldering rework.

Personally I would experiment with different loading resistors and capacitors using the receptacles that the manufacturer has provided. I think this will have the biggest effect and will be very cheap to do.
    ~Paul~

I'm Martin.

As others have said, unless you have the proper desoldering equipment and have the experience, it’s probably best to leave things as they are. IMO your money would be better spent on upgrading your cartridge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Personally, I'm sceptical of "op-amp rolling". I may be less sceptical if its advocates called it "op-amp swapping". How the hell do you roll an op-amp? They're not even round!
    Well if you keep them in their package, they are kinda rollable... isch

But true, one has to be a bit careful and the warnings are appreciated, but I thought I posted in the Drawing Board...

Quote Originally Posted by disarmamant View Post
    As others have said, unless you have the proper desoldering equipment and have the experience, it’s probably best to leave things as they are. IMO your money would be better spent on upgrading your cartridge.
    I know my way around soldering... a bit anyway. I'll have a few test runs on a test PCB before I'll butcher my Black Cube. Upgrading my cartridge will cost me a lot more for sure and if/when I do, a better op amp will make it sound even better right?

I was actually hoping on something more constructional. Puffin message on cutting the legs made sense, so I ordered some more op amps including 2 original ones just to make sure.

20171221_213329.jpg
    Last edited by Funnyx; 21-12-2017 at 09:35. Reason: Pictures again...

+ Reply to Thread