+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Valve Integrated

I'm Peter.

A few months from now I will have a rebuilt Quad Classic II. John Westlake will be doing the rewiring and he will upgrade the components to better ones. I have asked him to add a pre in that will bypass the original pre. Price will be in your ballpark.

I'm Mike.

Not sure about Quad to be honest, I’ll do some more reading

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmortlock View Post
    Haha ... was having a look though eeebs and some of the sales sites only to find that Tom has beaten me to it! Some very nice amps in his post, be aware that the UR is pretty deep, so measure before getting too interested.

The Unison Research Unico 90 - the very one Phil heard a short while ago - fits perfick on my HiFi Racks rack. I believe the OP is looking for a full valve amp whereas the UR is a hybrid using 2 x ECC83’s and 4 x ECC81’s. It is probably one of the nicest sounding amps I have heard....or of course it may be the synergy with Harbeth SHL5 Plus’.

lordmortlock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    The Unison Research Unico 90 - the very one Phil heard a short while ago - fits perfick on my HiFi Racks rack. I believe the OP is looking for a full valve amp whereas the UR is a hybrid using 2 x ECC83’s and 4 x ECC81’s. It is probably one of the nicest sounding amps I have heard....or of course it may be the synergy with Harbeth SHL5 Plus’.
    We’re talking about the P30k Alan, a valve power amp and, at nearly 50cm deep, larger than the average component.

I'm DAVE.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Not sure about Quad to be honest, I’ll do some more reading
    Hi Mike,
    What is it about Quad you aren’t sure about?
    It’s looks perhaps? Fair enough there are better lookers out there.
    The lack of remote control? Fair enough there isn’t one.
    The lack of any digital inputs? Fair enough there isn’t any.
    (I never was a very good salesman)

Will it drive your Tannoys to a decent level? Course it will.
    Does it have a decent mm/mc phono stage? Course it does.
    Does it look like it’s as new and fully boxed? Course it does.
    Does it’s designer know his stuff? Course he does. (Tim de P)

That’s it then, shameless (on holiday) plug for my Quad Integrated over on pfm.

Cheers...Dave
    p.s. Hope you’re enjoying the ZYX

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVEDWACK View Post
    Hi Mike,
    What is it about Quad you aren’t sure about?
    It’s looks perhaps? Fair enough there are better lookers out there.
    The lack of remote control? Fair enough there isn’t one.
    The lack of any digital inputs? Fair enough there isn’t any.
    (I never was a very good salesman)

Will it drive your Tannoys to a decent level? Course it will.
    Does it have a decent mm/mc phono stage? Course it does.
    Does it look like it’s as new and fully boxed? Course it does.
    Does it’s designer know his stuff? Course he does. (Tim de P)

That’s it then, shameless (on holiday) plug for my Quad Integrated over on pfm.

Cheers...Dave
    p.s. Hope you’re enjoying the ZYX
    Zyx is great thanks

I'll read up on the quads today and give it some thought.

Not sure whether to bother with the demo tomorrow in all honesty I can't see me buying it at full retail when you see the deals on offer for used gear.

Mind you the Amp I'm looking at did best an AR 75 ok I know it depends on who was listening and the music used.

Any one heard Primaluna 6 monoblocks, pair for sale on eBay at £1300, worth a look? Ok I'd need a pre as well but that would be easy enough

I'm Edward.

Mike

As Tom has already I also recommend you consider the Woodside STA50 amp. This is effectively a Radford circuit but done by John Widgery who use to work for Radford and who took over production of Radford stuff when Arthur Radford retired. At that time John was not able to use the Radford name. And this unit has been upgraded and checked over by Will Moores (at Radford Revival). This circuit is known to work very well with the Tannoy DCs (ask Tom and Adam). Given that the seller has had this unit in stock for a while perhaps he is open to a discussion on price? Of course you will need a pre but all in will be within your budget.

Had it not been for the fact I already have a Radford (as well as other amps) I would be chomping at the bits to get this Woodside and its known pedigree. (In fact years ago I nearly bought this model directly from John but I chickened out due to the then cost and my budget. I think I may still have the original Woodside literature that John sent me, but not 100% sure, need to check.)
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmortlock View Post
    We’re talking about the P30k Alan, a valve power amp and, at nearly 50cm deep, larger than the average component.
    Hi Jake ..hope you are well mate.
    If you look at Phil’s post he was referring to his visit to me when he heard the Unico 90. Specifically the Unico 90 not the P30k.

Have a good Xmas.

I'm Lawrence.

I can't help butting in sorry.

If you look at Tom's post he was referring to the P30k on ebay, which Jake was then commenting on.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Mike

As Tom has already I also recommend you consider the Woodside STA50 amp. This is effectively a Radford circuit but done by John Widgery who use to work for Radford and who took over production of Radford stuff when Arthur Radford retired. At that time John was not able to use the Radford name. And this unit has been upgraded and checked over by Will Moores (at Radford Revival). This circuit is known to work very well with the Tannoy DCs (ask Tom and Adam). Given that the seller has had this unit in stock for a while perhaps he is open to a discussion on price? Of course you will need a pre but all in will be within your budget.

Had it not been for the fact I already have a Radford (as well as other amps) I would be chomping at the bits to get this Woodside and its known pedigree. (In fact years ago I nearly bought this model directly from John but I chickened out due to the then cost and my budget. I think I may still have the original Woodside literature that John sent me, but not 100% sure, need to check.)
    The Radford was also my top recommendation by email. In my view this is the best by a margin out of that list though of course not an integrated which is what was asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    You've been lying low Alan - hope all is good with you. Nice to see you here.

I think we are talking about two different conversations, the one I mentioned was the P30K.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast