+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wharfedale Dovedale III / 3 :- midrange driver units ?

I'm Mark.

Default Wharfedale Dovedale III / 3 :- midrange driver units ?

Folks,

Does anybody know either the original name/specification of these units OR something that is a good or better replacement for them ?

I picked up a cheap pair of Dynatron speakers (LS4038), which as far as I can tell are really Dovedales in Dynatron boxes.
    The guy I bought them from replaced the midrange drivers because one was kaput. I have the working one and wanted to see what the 'original' sound was like.
    Presently they come across as a bit harsh and was hoping a change may tone that down a little.

These are just an experiment, as I have spent a bit this year on other items and holding off getting something better until next year.

Amazingly they have revealed one fact about my system, which I have mentioned on here previously - which has always been my lack of bass. It seems that my B&W DM2s must be the culprit. The big 12" bass drivers have delivered the depth I've been missing.

At some point I also intend to tinker with the DM2s to see if I can resurrect their bass (which I am sure they would be capable of delivering).

On both speakers I may investigate the crossovers which I guess are likely to be original. I wouldn't attempt the work myself and know a local electronic engineer who has done a few jobs which have been good.

Something for the winter evenings !

I'm Martin.

Hi Mark, a recap on the xovers is probably needed if original, in both cases.
    I have both Dovedales (in the larger 66? Litre cabs) & DM3 (with the modded EMI elliptical driver). The bass was significantly enhance on both with the introduction of a supertweeter.
    Regards, Martin

I'm Mark.

Hello Martin,

Thanks for your comments. The electronics engineer I know is busy at present but once he has room in his workshop he will take the DM2 and carry out the recap.
    Out of interest what type of super tweeter did you install ?

Cheers, Mark

I'm Martin.

Hi Mark,

I use external ST that piggy back off the speaker posts. I have two air motion and two ribbon type purchased from the well known auction site under the Emoto badge. I must admit that I was in the 'snake oil' camp until I brought a pair. I am a true convert. I tried to fully understand the science but life is too short so resolved just to enjoy the resulting enhancement. Martin

+ Reply to Thread