+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which way to jump, DAC, Reciever or new amp with DAC

I'm Bob.

Default Which way to jump, DAC, Reciever or new amp with DAC

Back in October I was re-united with my Tannoy's, QUAD 33/405 and various other bits of Hi-Fi and the bulk of my CD's.

Over the last few years I had built up a completely separate system of an Xbox One, Pioneer AV receiver (With 4k and HDR throughput, a 65inch 4k HDR Panasonic TV and other speakers and lots of PC kit including a Surface Pro 4. I also had built up a large collection of music using MS's Groove music pass.

Just about the time I brought them altogether, Groove's music pass ceased to exist so I have ripped all my CD's to .flac format.

I had in the meantime bought a TEAC CD player as my Philips CD 101 was not a happy bunny, but on testing the TEAC versus the standard Xbox One, the Xbox One won by a mile, it is shocking how good this sounds.

In anticipation of my Xmas bonus I popped into PC world today and bought the Xbox One X as this is basically a 4k media and games console, it will play 4k HDR from Netflix (Or any other 4k source) it's a 4k Blu-Ray player and a surprisingly good CD and .flac player, it also allows casting from my entire system.

The Pioneer isn't a bad amp (I only use stereo) and because it is remote controlled I have the Xbox One control it, so I can come into the room and say Xbox on, the Xbox, TV, receiver and satellite box all turn on, I can say something like "Xbox, play Walls and Bridges" and on will come the album, "Xbox volume up or down".

However I do prefer the QUAD's but they are not controllable and I need a DAC.

So do I buy a DAC? If so without breaking the bank the Beresford Seg is in my price range, or I could just keep the Pioneer, sounds fine and works, or do I look at a new amp sometime in the new year, I really like the look of the Cyrus One but again no DAC, so I may as well keep the QUAD's.

I have no need to spend too much money at the moment as apart from buying the Xbox One X I am currently buying a new house and I am sure the wife will want a new washing machine and fridge freezer.

SO any suggestions on budget DAC's appreciated, taking into account I have no need to spend any money if I just continue to use the Pioneer receiver. Any other thoughts on which way I should go amp wise.

I'm Geoff.

I would recommend a Nuforce DDA 100 integrated. It is not a digital amp per se, but it only has digital inputs and therefore does not require a separate DAC. I was so impressed with mine that I upgraded to mono-blocks from the same company.

The technology is explained here http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...d-amplifier-1/

I am considering putting mine up for sale. It is in mint condition with original boxes. PM me if interested.

Geoff

I'm Bob.

Good sales pitch there ;-)

Just been thinking about this, the Xbox One (And Xbox One X) can control most receivers as it (The X has a built in IR blaster) and I also have the Kinect with IR blaster, if you know the product code you can enter it, but it will also learn.

So although it would never be able to control the Quad 33, it may be able to control the volume on a DAC so although I would physically have to turn the amp on, I could just set it to X amount of volume and then control the input from the DAC as long as it comes with an Infra Red remote, might work.

And if I was only watching TV I could just use the TV's speakers which although nothing like the Tannoy's with an amp, the sound out of the Panasonic TX-65CX802B is actually very good, perfectly acceptable for watching breakfast TV or the news.

I'm Geoff.

Should add the DDA 100 has a remote control and will knock spots off the QUAD 33. Seriously!

Geoff

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvfr View Post

However I do prefer the QUAD's but they are not controllable and I need a DAC.
    Know the feeling - I stuck to my Quad 33/405-2 combo for quite a while with an AudioLab Q-Dac delivering the digital. In the end I ditched them in favour of a Quad Vena integrated (analogue and digital inputs).

Absolutely no regrets!! Apart from the couch-potato remote, the end of the spaghetti tangle of cables was a great relief. From an SQ perspective it's also a notch up ... I did try running the Vena pre-amp output via the 405-2 for a wee while ... but quite honestly it wasn't worth the bother.

Just to add that the Vena headphone output meant I could also lose another box

I'm Bob.

This is driving my thinking, I really want as few boxes and wires as possible TV, speakers, Xbox and amp will do and as long as the Xbox can control the amp, I can either voice control of use the small and very simple media remote and as my wife has an Xbox she can use this as well.

EDIT:

I had looked at the Quad last month when I was still thinking through what way I was going, and then forgotten about it, but on re-looking it could be the way to go, I doubt with the sensitivity of the Cheviots that I need 100watts per channel, I am sure 45 will do, it has the DAC, Bluetooth if needed and still has analogue inputs if I want to plug in a standard CD player.

So a listen to one is in order I think, thanks for the reminder.
    Last edited by bobvfr; 14-12-2017 at 07:59.

I'm Bob.

OK I think you just sold me on the Vena, has all the inputs I need for the next few years, has a full remote control with standby so the Xbox should be able to fully control it, will probably suit the Tannoy's.

So this is now on my shopping list for some time next year, subject to a listening test of course and unless something better comes along at the same or lower price.

Will probably sell the 33 and 405, and some of my other spare kit when I get the new amp.

My main question is do I go for the lower priced plain one or the Piano Black one.

I'm Grant.

Trouble with pb is it shows up everything
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Bob.

The wife is a dab hand with a duster ;-)

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvfr View Post

My main question is do I go for the lower priced plain one or the Piano Black one.
    I opted for the matt grey - mainly for the £70 saving but also the additional bulk.
    As it turned out it was a good choice as its an almost perfect match with my TT casing and speakers.
    Must say the rugged looks also have a certain macho appeal without the shiny bling

+ Reply to Thread