+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Noise reduction

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It lives! We shall see later, when I can be bothered.

Yep that looks a fair comparison. Go for it.

Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    None whatsoever. But since when did that qualify you to judge sound quality of Hi Fi.
    Electronics qualifications and/or experience doesn't qualify anyone to judge sound quality, but it can educate them enough to understand what creates an earth loop, what makes an earth loop create hum, how to shield circuits from RF interference or magnetic fields etc. Understanding is what allows people to make dependable predictions, like "will this create an earth loop?"

I'm Geoff.

Yep that looks a fair comparison. Go for it.
    It will do exactly the same job!!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

RothwellAudio Guest

It lives! We shall see later, when I can be bothered.

Yes. I used an older plug so I could take the + and - pins out in case anybody was concerned. Only the earth can make any contact.
    I hope only the earth side of that RCA is soldered to the earth wire. Having the centre pin connected to earth as well may cause problems depending on whether you plug it into an input or an output.

The effects of this device will depend to some extent on how the rest of the system is wired. If it is fully floating, it won't do much. If one component already has 0V connected directly to earth you will create an earth loop. If the two components are plugged into different mains sockets you will create a bigger earth loop.
    Well-done on actually soldering something up to do practical tests, but it would be wrong to draw general conclusions from an isolated example.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I hope only the earth side of that RCA is soldered to the earth wire. Having the centre pin connected to earth as well may cause problems depending on whether you plug it into an input or an output.
    Yes. Only earth soldered on the phono plug. Although you've made me wonder what results might be on an amp that had shorting plugs fitted.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

It will do exactly the same job!!
    Of course it will.

Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

Electronics qualifications and/or experience doesn't qualify anyone to judge sound quality, but it can educate them enough to understand what creates an earth loop, what makes an earth loop create hum, how to shield circuits from RF interference or magnetic fields etc. Understanding is what allows people to make dependable predictions, like "will this create an earth loop?"
    Safety is a given in any component - caveat emptor, and any mug can hear an earth loop so we can dismiss that from the equation.

Why are you trying to confuse the real debate about whether this cable can improve sound quality?
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

RothwellAudio Guest

Safety is a given in any component - caveat emptor, and any mug can hear an earth loop so we can dismiss that from the equation.

Why are you trying to confuse the real debate about whether this cable can improve sound quality?
    Are you saying that this device can't create an earth loop? Or that if it it does, it doesn't invalidate it or its price tag?
    I'm not trying to confuse the debate. As far as I'm aware I'm debating what everyone else is debating - with the possible exception of yourself.

BTW, in my experience it's not true that any mug can hear an earth loop. On many occasions people hear a hum and assume its an earth loop. Often it isn't.
    And I've heard many systems that hum where the owner is either oblivious to it or assumes that it's a price worth paying for the superior sound quality.

I'm Chris.

Are you saying that this device can't create an earth loop? Or that if it it does, it doesn't invalidate it or its price tag?
    BTW, I'm not trying to confuse the debate. As far as I'm aware I'm debating what everyone else is debating - with the possible exception of yourself.

I'm not saying anything, remember I'm not an electronics expert like you. What I am saying is, if you evaluate it in your system and it creates an earth loop then it goes back as unfit for purpose at whatever price it is. It's not rocket science to hear an earth loop within 1 second.

BTW, I'm not trying to confuse the debate. As far as I'm aware I'm debating what everyone else is debating - with the possible exception of yourself.

Well please lets have that debate with me about sound quality.

Lets hear your argument for saying it cant improve sound quality given the understanding that it needs to be electrically safe and not create earth loops.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Carry on chaps!
    I haven't laughed so much in years
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast