+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Noise reduction

I'm Geoff.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvfr View Post
    How can you hear something that lowers the noise created by modern (Or even ancient) Hi-Fi, I do remember my first Amstrad amp with sliders, that made a noise when you changed the volume, but other than that haven't heard a peep out of any of my systems from the cheapest to the most expensive since I got rid of that amp in about 1971 unless I actually play some music.
    Noise is not about crackles, pops or hiss its about the inky black between notes.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    Have you read the description on the Gutwire website? It’s just nonsense, it really is.
    I read it, but there's not one manufacturer that doesn't guild the lily. Does that make every product rubbish.

There's still a lot of discoveries to be made regarding earthing, cables etc
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvfr View Post
    What noise, there really shouldn't be any noise coming from any vaguely decent Hi-Fi.
    I think you fail to understand what noise floor means.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Ask somebody who can give a professional opinion about this cable instead of jumping on your high horse.
    I'd rather ask someone who has listened to a system with and without it.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm fuckoff.

I've not heard the product, nor do I pretend to understand the science behind the arguments (both for and against).

I find it disheartening how people (a mod, even!) have labelled Bumpy as being on his high horse. I think he's reasonable in his wanting people with empirical experience to comment on the thing before slamming it. Especially with how he's requested it. I expected better from this forum.

Also, I agree about people's understanding of noise. There's more to it than hearing hiss from your speakers people. It's the type of noise you don't always know you have, until it's gone (and possibly reintroduced).

In case anyone's interested:

https://audiobacon.net/2017/12/09/gu...cables-review/

Different technologies, but I've used Akiko audio tuning sticks on my speaker cables and USB to good effect. Also I use and Acoustic Revice RGC-24 under the mains transformer in my DAC, wouldn't take it out now.
    Last edited by realysm42; 14-12-2017 at 00:21.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by realysm42 View Post
    I find it disheartening how people (a mod, even!) have labelled Bumpy as being on his high horse. I think he's reasonable in his wanting people with empirical experience to comment on the thing before slamming it. Especially with how he's requested it. I expected better from this forum.
    Really? I and others were talking about the cable, to which we are entitled an opinion, right or wrong. Comments about us were unwarranted.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm fuckoff.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Really? I and others were talking about the cable, to which we are entitled an opinion, right or wrong. Comments about us were unwarranted.
    I know what you and others were talking about.

I agree you're entitled to your opinion.

Bumpy observed the situation is sad, I don't see why you've interpreted that as him making unwarranted comments about you.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    I'd rather ask someone who has listened to a system with and without it.
    The problem with just listening is that it gives you no idea as to what is happening. A subjective improvement may actually be a degradation but you won't find that out from playing a couple of songs. If it lowered the noise floor as they claim they would provide proof of it. Why wouldn't they? They would sell more and no-one would question the product.

Why pay them more than 200 dollars for this bit of wire when you could achieve the same effect for ten dollars? If you knew what was causing the effect?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The problem with just listening is that it gives you no idea as to what is happening.
    I would ask the question "does it matter". We are all after best sound quality at a price you can afford, so if it offers you that, the rest is of little significance.

I spent my younger days reading reviews and specs, listening to people who had never really earned the right to give comment, and making judgements about extended base, sweet treble etc etc. In hindsight, what a nonsense that was. Now I just listen to see if I enjoy it. If I do, then am I willing to pay the price for that level of enjoyment?

Surely that's all that really matters. Oh, and an open mind really helps.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast