+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Noise reduction

RothwellAudio Guest

There seem to be two issues here which are being discussed in parallel:
    1) whether or not connecting the 0V side of an RCA socket directly to mains earth is a beneficial (or even safe) thing to do, and
    2) whether or not the device under discussion is fairly priced.

It's a fail on both issues as far as I'm concerned.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I get the impression there is a desperate will for this thing to be wonderful and that some may not be happy until everybody concedes and gives it a round of applause!
    Its called having an open mind. If a review or two show no improvement in SQ I will join you in mud throwing.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    If a review or two show no improvement in SQ I will join you in mud throwing.
    But who's reviews? Many sources of 'professional' reviews are regarded with suspicion. User reviews are useless, as users may well not have a clue what they are talking about, nor have a useful yardstick by which to make comparisons.

I doubt any reviewer with credence would take the cable on anyway.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    There seem to be two issues here which are being discussed in parallel:
    1) whether or not connecting the 0V side of an RCA socket directly to mains earth is a beneficial (or even safe) thing to do, and
    2) whether or not the device under discussion is fairly priced.

It's a fail on both issues as far as I'm concerned.
    Create your own agenda why dont you. The main point being debated for Audiophiles is "does it make your system sound better.?"
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    But who's reviews? Many sources of 'professional' reviews are regarded with suspicion. User reviews are useless, as users may well not have a clue what they are talking about, nor have a useful yardstick by which to make comparisons.

I doubt any reviewer with credence would take the cable on anyway.
    So now if reviewer's opinions don't match with your prejudices then they are rubbish as well. You couldn't make it up.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

RothwellAudio Guest

Create your own agenda why dont you. The main point being debated for Audiophiles is "does it make your system sound better.?"
    My own agenda? Surely "does it make your system sound better?" is covered by issue 1) "whether or not connecting the 0V side of an RCA socket directly to mains earth is a beneficial (or even safe) thing to do."

How does "my agenda" deviate from what's being discussed in the thread?

BTW, can I ask what qualifications or experience of electronics you have?

I'm Geoff.

So now if reviewer's opinions don't match with your prejudices then they are rubbish as well. You couldn't make it up.
    Do I catch a whiff of something here?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

It lives! We shall see later, when I can be bothered.

Yes. I used an older plug so I could take the + and - pins out in case anybody was concerned. Only the earth can make any contact.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    BTW, can I ask what qualifications or experience of electronics you have?
    None whatsoever. But since when did that qualify you to judge sound quality of Hi Fi.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Geoff.

None whatsoever. But since when did that qualify you to judge sound quality of Hi Fi.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast