+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best metal polish?

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I am not really keen on Autosol because it contains a grit in it.
    Aren't all metal polishes fine abrasives? I thought they all contained some kind of "grit" suspended in a thickish liquid.
    Anyway, I could be wrong.
    I've had good results on aluminium by going through successively finer grades of wet-and-dry (to about 1200 grit, I think) and then using T Cut.

I'm Alex.

Here is the Amazon product description of Autosol:

"Product description
    Size Name:75 ml
    Product Description

From vehicles, to boats, and even inside you home, there are many items which require to be polished to bring the best out of them. Steel, brass, copper, chrome and aluminium can all be polished to a brilliant shine with Autosol award winning product.

The Autosol Metal Polish is Autosol’s most popular product picking up three international gold medals and is recommended by manufacturers, museums and restoration experts around the world. The special formula has made it safe and easy to remove oxidation, corrosion, stains, and rust from metal. It can produce brilliant reflective shines and also leave an invisible wax coating to ensure long lasting shine when applied.

Autosol was founded in Solingen, Germany in 1929. With almost 81 years’ experience, 3 manufacturing sites around the world and a global distribution network in more than 70 countries. Their products are used by BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi and Volkswagen. Several of their products have been awarded the prestigious Monde Selection gold medal by the International Institute of High Quality in Belgium.
    Legal Disclaimer

Product Description From vehicles, to boats, and even inside you home, there are many items which require to be polished to bring the best out of them. Steel, brass, copper, chrome and aluminium can all be polished to a brilliant shine with Autosol award winning product. The Autosol Metal Polish is Autosol’s most popular product picking up three international gold medals and is recommended by manufacturers, museums and restoration experts around the world. The special formula has made it safe and easy to remove oxidation, corrosion, stains, and rust from metal. It can produce brilliant reflective shines and also leave an invisible wax coating to ensure long lasting shine when applied. Autosol was founded in Solingen, Germany in 1929. With almost 81 years’ experience, 3 manufacturing sites around the world and a global distribution network in more than 70 countries. Their products are used by BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi and Volkswagen. Several of their products have been awarded the prestigious Monde Selection gold medal by the International Institute of High Quality in Belgium. Box Contains 1x Autosol Metal Polish 75ml
    "
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Aren't all metal polishes fine abrasives? I thought they all contained some kind of "grit" suspended in a thickish liquid.
    Anyway, I could be wrong.
    I was going to say something like this.

I've used T Cut too, but this does not leave such a protective layer as Autosol.
    Spendorman

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    You may have given you age away, It's a long time since it was called "Solvol" Autosol!!! lol!
    LOL, yes, it would have been around the late seventies/early eighties as everything went black after that (black chrome that is)

Back to real chrome and real alloy now with the Harley

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    LOL, yes, it would have been around the late seventies/early eighties as everything went black after that (black chrome that is)

Back to real chrome and real alloy now with the Harley
    You are OK, I used it at least a decade before your earliest date. I'm just going to look in a drawer where I think the polish is and see if it says Solvol on it.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Found the tube of Autosol, it does say Sovol on it, probably used it last over 10 years ago to polish the Technics SL-110 platter, can't find my camera though to take a picture of it!
    Spendorman

I'm Alan.

''Aren't all metal polishes fine abrasives?'' Yes or they wouldn't be polish...

Mine must be 30 years old at least (Halfords at £2-03) and still going strong.

Both silver polish and Autosol work fine on aluminium. You probably get more shine with the Autosol and more sheen with the silver polish. Just keep using clean cloths.

I'm Grant.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

I used to work for Boosey and Hawkes, plenty of metal polishing went on there, but I was in the Design Dept, didn't do any polishing. Don't know what was used.
    Spendorman

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman_al View Post
    ''Aren't all metal polishes fine abrasives?'' Yes or they wouldn't be polish...

Mine must be 30 years old at least (Halfords at £2-03) and still going strong.

Both silver polish and Autosol work fine on aluminium. You probably get more shine with the Autosol and more sheen with the silver polish. Just keep using clean cloths.
    Oh yeah, scrubby old cloth for putting it on but brand new unused cloth for polishing it up afterwards. Those alloy carbs used to shine like chrome when we'd finished with them and the engine casings were a triumph, even though it was a Kawasaki

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast