+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: I've just sold 3000 CDs - and i don't care!!

I'm Martin.

I like CDs and have been there since the start I have 571 of them listed on my computer spreadsheet.

Is this not just a case of 3000 cds taking over? There is a point when we can just play no more. Is that not the real issue here. I think I was actually happier when I had a handful because I would get around to playing them. I mean seriously when am I going to get round to playing the best part of 571 cds? I skip tracks on my computer because I am overwhelmed by 320gb worth of music.

There is so much music being released now plus all the stuff from yesteryear. Maybe there is no point building a small collection if we can access a central library

I can see the benefits of a yearly membership to huge online music library but do the artists get paid enough. What am I paying and what quality am I getting? I still prefer buying the occasional cd because I like the control to rest with me and Im conditioned to owning a hard copy.

I dont really have a problem storing 571 cds but together with all my dvds it is a considerable amount of storage space. I wouldnt put anything in the loft though because its outside a safe temperature range.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 17-12-2017 at 01:54.

I'm Geoff.

For me only two things matter with regard to ripping and streaming. The first is sound quality. I have had some good cd players and yet I feel that the sound quality I get with a disk based system is superior. I am using a good but relatively inexpensive streamer (a Cambridge CXN) as well as an RPi based system with one of the new Allo boards (the Digione). Both seem to have a smoother sound than cds, and I am particulalry pleased with the new Allo board which is very detailed but very smooth.

The second thing is portability. Yes the convenience of having an entire cd collection ripped to one hard disk (with multiple backups) is great, but it is the ability to bring my music with me when I travel that I value most. I have a good quality Sony HD music player with selection of 128gb micro sd cards that I can use with headphones or via a Bluetooth receiver. I have also recently put together a new portable hifi comprising a pair of Martin Logan Motion 2 speakers and a Nuforce Icon Amp. Along with the Sony HD player it fits into a travelling case not much bigger than a shoe-box. The sound quality is more than good, it is very very good.

Geoff

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    On the storage side, the Really Useful Box Company offer a range of really strong boxes for CD storage. If you are storing them in an unheated loft of garage, don't forget to drop a decent sized bag of silica gel to stop condensation. It's amazing how damp the cd inserts can get if left in long term storage without such precautions.
    The silica gel tip sounds like a good idea, though I was hoping that some boxes would be well enough sealed to avoid problems. Doesn’t the gel itself have to be renewed periodically, or does the moisture effectively cycle over time - the gel drying out in hot weather, but absorbing moisture in the cold?

I have some boxes a bit like these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Storage-pla...Cd+box+plastic
    Dave

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    The silica gel tip sounds like a good idea, though I was hoping that some boxes would be well enough sealed to avoid problems. Doesn’t the gel itself have to be renewed periodically, or does the moisture effectively cycle over time - the gel drying out in hot weather, but absorbing moisture in the cold?

I have some boxes a bit like these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Storage-pla...Cd+box+plastic
    Dave,

I think you would need some seal to exclude moisture and I know of no such boxes that would exclude all moisture and there will already be moisture in the box when it is packed. The boxes you refer to look OK but don't underestimate the weight of cds, and the pressure on the bottom boxes if you are stacking them.

Regarding the silica gel, a small pack can absorb a lot of water. They can be recharged very simply. I put old bags on top of the radiator, but others put them in an oven on a medium heat setting. There are sites that explain the maths of absorption and the correct size bag for a particular volume box. Personally I go for extreme overkill as the larger bags are pretty cheap when bought in bulk on ebay. Just FYI, i bought my last album in 1998 and for much of the last 20 years my vinyl collection was iong term storage in these boxes with a large silica gel bag in each. When I got them out of storage they were in pristine condition with no damage to the album or album cover. They were stacked 4 boxes high, though I think the boxes are so strong that 6 boxes or more is feasible

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.u...5_0litreXL.php

Geoff

I'm Malcolm.

Great thread! I've just read it through from start to finish.

I tend to mix physical media, files and streaming. The CD, for me, is an odd proposition nowadays. It is still the main way I add digital music to my collection but - like many others - I rip and store. I feel secure knowing the discs are there as the ultimate backup. The discs themselves, though, barely see the light of day. It would feel odd to me to play a CD having ripped it - as the ripped file is identical. (Not quite the same as archiving your precious and delicate LPs to tape on your Nakamichi!)

In the digital world, though, I'm quite happy to play DVD-A, SACD, Blu-ray etc. from disc - and I'm similarly comfortable with LP records. These formats are all a bit more fiddly to archive/rip than CD of course.

I think the success (or otherwise) of streaming and file platforms is the UI/UX - with a good interface the experience can/could be as nice as handling and selecting from your LPs. The streaming interface on my old Cambridge streamer was awful, ugly and clunky (nice as the device was in terms of sound) and I longed for my old Meridian CD player back (or to return to iTunes with my Mac Mini!).

When I tried (and bought) Roon - with a Raspberry Pi 3 and Meridian Explorer 2 as an 'endpoint' - I realised this was where I wanted to be! Tidal albums are integrated with my collection, so I can stream from my files or the internet using a single interface - which pulls in metadata from the internet so I can explore connections between artists and albums in my collection. Roon uses this metadata to provide a 'Radio' feature that creates remarkable automated playlists - and can use DSP to level the volume if you wish. But I find I tend to listen to albums - and it gives me just as much satisfaction (although of a very different kind) as listening to vinyl.

That said I'm currently listening to Sgt. Pepper's on Blu-ray - go figure!

Technics SL1210 MkII / SME 309 / Timestep PSU / Achromat / Denon DL-304
    Phono stage PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
    Lossless / MP3 / Tidal > Roon > Bryston BDP-1USB > Marantz NA-11S1
    Marantz UD7007 SACD/Blu-ray/DVD-V/DVD-A
    Toshiba BDX1200 Blu-ray player (Zone A & Region 1)
    Audiolab 8200AP pre-amp/processor
    Power amp: Arcam P7
    B&W 804S stereo (bi-amped), HTM4S centre, CDMSNT surrounds (5.0)
    Sennheiser HD 700 headphones
    Panasonic PT-AT6000 projector

I'm Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by m10 View Post

When I tried (and bought) Roon - with a Raspberry Pi 3 and Meridian Explorer 2 as an 'endpoint' - I realised this was where I wanted to be! Tidal albums are integrated with my collection, so I can stream from my files or the internet using a single interface - which pulls in metadata from the internet so I can explore connections between artists and albums in my collection. Roon uses this metadata to provide a 'Radio' feature that creates remarkable automated playlists - and can use DSP to level the volume if you wish. But I find I tend to listen to albums - and it gives me just as much satisfaction (although of a very different kind) as listening to vinyl.

Same here.

Rasberry Pi and Explorer 2 replaced CD transport, Meridian DAC, Croft Pre, now it goes straight into the power amp, only thing on show is the speakers.

Roon and Tidal is my music, all physical media gone.
    Sitting Room - Volumio- Tidal - Raspberry Pi with Khadas Tone Board - Marantz PM7003 - Spendor S6e + Rel Strata.
    TV Room - Arcam Solo Movie + Mission 752s + Mission 75c + Rel Strata.

I'm gone.

Yep, physical media are so last year.

I'm Martin.

I really don't understand the appeal. I have a big bookcase sat in an alcove with all my CDs and LPs in it. Doesn't cause any bother, it isn't in the way of anything.

This desire to 'de-clutter', get rid of physical media and 'reduce the box count'. What is that all about? Some sort of psychological compulsion? When I was a youngster I wanted more boxes and more 'physical media'. That was what it was all about, having a great stereo system and a big collection of music to play on it. That hasn't changed for me. I really don't care how many boxes there are, they just sit there on racks not bothering anyone. Someone please explain this motivation to get rid of everything, it makes no sense to me.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I really don't understand the appeal.
    For me, it's not about getting rid of everything.
    It's about immediate access to effectively unlimited music.
    I just love to explore new things - be they hifi gear or music.
    At the twiddle of a mouse I can access 1000s upon 1000s of albums. It's just fabulous. It's all about the music for me.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I really don't understand the appeal. I have a big bookcase sat in an alcove with all my CDs and LPs in it. Doesn't cause any bother, it isn't in the way of anything.

This desire to 'de-clutter', get rid of physical media and 'reduce the box count'. What is that all about? Some sort of psychological compulsion? When I was a youngster I wanted more boxes and more 'physical media'. That was what it was all about, having a great stereo system and a big collection of music to play on it. That hasn't changed for me. I really don't care how many boxes there are, they just sit there on racks not bothering anyone. Someone please explain this motivation to get rid of everything, it makes no sense to me.
    Totally agree.

Was listening to some Bach cantatas last night, on LP, I have pretty much the whole Leonhard / Harnoncourt set (48 out of 50 box sets). Comes with a scholarly article in every box plus text, translation, score, performer, performance and venue details. The score on its own makes this set precious. Or I could stream it from a file with hit and miss metadata. No brainier.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast