+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I've just sold 3000 CDs - and i don't care!!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    Im still in the mindset of owning the Cds even though I have the files on the NAS drive. One day they will be fashionable again, like vinyl . I have my NAS set to Raid 1 so I have 2 discs that are mirrored. If one goes down it can be replaced and the other disc automatically copies itself to the new one. Not a foolproof backup, but still quite reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Regarding storage, I recently bought a second WD Easystore drive in the USA. This one is 8tb and very user friendly.

I think cloud storage is fine if you only have a few hundred cds. Above that, I think multiple back-ups are the way forward. The price of hard drives is so low that this is now affordable.

Geoff

Precisely the point I was making is that this does not guarantee you data integrity. Even standard Cloud storage which is simple replication might not solve the problem. Funnily enough, optical media like CDs are a far more reliable backup (for all they can still physically degrade).

I'm Martin.

I think your overestimating the potential problem of data degradation. If it was actually a real-world issue lots of everyday things would be falling over all the time because of it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think your overestimating the potential problem of data degradation. If it was actually a real-world issue lots of everyday things would be falling over all the time because of it.
    well I have comparatively few files and already I have several unplayable because of it.

I'm Martin.

How do you know it is because of that and not some other reason? If it was that common a problem wouldn't aircraft be falling out of the sky and so forth? A file of music is pretty simple as these things go so if that can be corrupted to the point of failure so easily wouldn't larger, more complex programs be failing all the time?

Something here does not add up.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I'm quietly sympathetic and envious of you Iain for shifting 3,000 CDs. My problem is I have recently had to find new storage for about the same number of CDs - it's not easy'. My fiancé comes from a culture where such possessions are not important and it is not usual to find anyone there with collections of anything. Thus she likes to have a relatively spartan, minimalist-looking, living space, uncluttered (in her opinion) by books CDs and LPs. It's a bit of a struggle to find a 'middle way'.

However I do like to own a physical copy of the music 'software', just as I like to have physical books to read, so the struggle continues ....
    Barry

I'm James.

How do you know it is because of that and not some other reason? If it was that common a problem wouldn't aircraft be falling out of the sky and so forth? A file of music is pretty simple as these things go so if that can be corrupted to the point of failure so easily wouldn't larger, more complex programs be failing all the time?

I'd guess any info stored on aircraft would be constantly upgraded , unlikely to degrade,I'm guessing mind
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'm quietly sympathetic and envious of you Iain for shifting 3,000 CDs. My problem is I have recently had to find new storage for about the same number of CDs - it's not easy'. My fiancé comes from a culture where such possessions are not important and it is not usual to find anyone there with collections of anything. Thus she likes to have a relatively spartan, minimalist-looking, living space, uncluttered (in her opinion) by books CDs and LPs. It's a bit of a struggle to find a 'middle way'.

However I do like to own a physical copy of the music 'software', just as I like to have physical books to read, so the struggle continues ....
    you should consider ripping them and getting a one box playing solution plus a nas with raid1. Then store cd's somewhere as a backup etc. it will sound as good; maybe better and you will gain space and happy fiance.
    Sure you could find someone to set it up for you
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

montesquieu Guest

Stuff held on a local hard drive is not the same as something held in a Tier 1 datacenter with all sorts of data integrity processes running behind the scenes (or indeed something flashed on a ROM chip that typically runs things like high-availability systems such as you get in aircraft guidance). That's why a properly implemented cloud solution is a very good suggestion.

Sectors fail on local hard drives all the time (if you run a good disk checker these can be mapped out) and the risk increases over time as disks age and as you copy data from drive to drive. A surprising number of my early digital photos from 15-20 years ago are corrupted. I have quite a few mainly older audio files too that don't play. I imagine right now it's well under 1% with any kind problem, but I would anticipate this will increase over time. If you get rid of all your physical media and have no means of restoration, if something goes kaput that you really like, you could be faced with buying it again.

I'm not making this up, did you read the links? I've been working in IT for more than 20 years and I can assure you it's a real issue the industry takes seriously. Consumers are only very lately being exposed to this as they suddenly have quite large data archives. So your files are largely OK on the machine you ripped them to are absolutely fine over the last, say 5 years. I'd expect that.

But how will they be two or three disks down the line in 10 or 15 years' time? That's the time horizon I'm talking about.

I'm simply warning against complacency. Where you have the physical media you can re-load, or an account with a provider of hi-res files such as Linn where you can (presumably) go back and get data, that's fine. But where you don't, and if you don't take precautions around data integrity (beyond just copying to another drive - the risk with simple replication is that you replace a good file with a bad one) then you are risking data loss.

I personally have no plans to get rid of my CDs.

I'm James.

The Novafidelity x40' is a great one box solution,pre.dac.ripper.server.streamer.internet radio.
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Shaun.

I once read that critical data in things like aircraft and nuclear power stations are guarded by a 'watchdog' system that constantly checks for errors. I used to use a chemical reactor known as an RC1 calorimeter that also has such a watchdog system. As I use CD's and vinyl, I don't have such worries. My oldest CD still plays fine and that dates from 1983.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast