+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: I've just sold 3000 CDs - and i don't care!!

I'm Martin.

I can understand it as an adjunct to the physical media. But getting rid of the physical media seems like an illogical thing to do unless you are strapped for cash. That's why I am wondering if there is a deeper psychological motivation.

Aside from that, sole reliance on streaming services is taking a big chance. They have all been losing money for years. That means either they get a lot more expensive or they fold. Or they get a lot more expensive then fold anyway because not enough people are prepared to pay to subscribe. There is only so long you can keep a loss-making business running.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

I'm hanging on to my multi-1000 CD collection, just in case.
    It's not used now, though.
    We all have different requirements and needs - Tom doesn't get the associated musical literature with streaming, whereas I wouldn't even look at it anyway!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I'm hanging on to my multi-1000 CD collection, just in case.
    It's not used now, though.
    We all have different requirements and needs - Tom doesn't get the associated musical literature with streaming, whereas I wouldn't even look at it anyway!
    That makes sense, stick them in boxes under the bed or the attic. Selling them is burning bridges that don't need to be burned IMO. Imagine having to start a collection from scratch again!
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Someone please explain this motivation to get rid of everything, it makes no sense to me.
    It's probably the onset of 'old age' thinking mate!

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It's probably the onset of 'old age' thinking mate!
    Yeah, you need to be young and enthusiastic, like me.

I'm Geoff.

I'm Martin.

I'm not going to get a serious answer to this am I? But I reckon there is a PhD in it for some aspiring psychologist.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

ah the cleanse yourself by removing everything that reminds you of your mistakes minimalism gig

wish i could but i cant, so maybe i really want more
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I have just made sure that I have easy access to my collection on the shelves and nothing is double stacked. I have alphabetical divides backed up with a computer spreadsheet so I find something very quickly.

I had a period when I didnt know where stuff was and that was a nightmare. I kept saying to myself.... no point owning it if I cant find it.

So its just a case of getting organised and having proper shelves and strong cube shelving for vinyl. I cant see a problem unless its taking over much needed living space.

I am gradually ripping my charity shop cds but I will always keep my core collection. I have probably peaked around the level Im at

I dont buy many discs now. I only experiment if its 30p to a £1 Its got to be a damn good new album to get my money. I buy less now but I still like the idea of having my hard copy of a film or music.

The streaming idea hasnt really been sold to me. I keep thinking about a yearly subscription to a central style storage library but how do the artists get paid? They have to eat and some want to get rich through their efforts.

How does my affordable yearly subsciption cover the royalties on all the music I may like to listen to? I sometimes moan about the TV licence so you can see how that mentality could be carried over into paying for a music service. Its another bill I dont really want to see coming in even though it could provide me with much enjoyment.

Things are changing but I am quite sad about the decline of the cd. It was bound to happen as its just a form of digital 0+1s that can be done elsewhere. The library are not doing them now and she gave me a very odd look as if I need to get with the times daddy o

I do see a certain joy if the rise of the robots is done right. Play Bob Dylan Witmark demos while Im pouring a drink. My computer will be called Jennifer in the white minimalist room with a well placed sculpture
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 01-01-2018 at 15:01.

I'm Tristan.

Is this not a copyright issue?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast